SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

'Extremely Critical' Fire Weather Thursday

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

The Storm Prediction Center has included a portion of western OK and northwestern OK in an area where "extremely critical" fire conditions will exist today. Another portion of OK, including western and central OK, are in an area where "Extreme" fire behavior is likely to occur.

A Red Flag Fire Warning has been issued for portions of Oklahoma that generally lie west of I-35 and includes some parts of the state that lie east of I-35 as well.

Tulsa and the northeastern portion of the state are under a Fire Weather Watch will could convert to a Red Flag Fire Warning at any time.

LARGE, WIND-DRIVEN WILDFIRES are likely under today's conditions of very strong winds and low humidities.

We've already had at least one grassfire this morning in Love County so I suspect we're in for a long day here, but much of the rest of the state will have more serious conditions than we will because they will have higher wind and lower humidity.

If fire is approaching your home, you can probably save your landscape and, your house, by turning on your sprinklers. Because winds in some areas will approach or perhaps exceed 40 mph and humidity will be in the 5-20% range, any plants you have outside--and especially those in containers--and most especially small plants in 6-packs--will dry out very quickly today and may need an extra watering.

I've linked the Storm Prediction Center map below. You can look at the image and read the narrative for today, which is D1. For tomorrow, some of western and northwestern OK will once again be in the "Extreme" area shown for D2.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Storm Prediction Center Map and Narrative

Comment (1)