SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winspiff

Novice to Use Sunroom for NEW year-round kitchen garden

winspiff
11 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for a bit of advice on starting up a year-round edible garden in a sunroom. I have limited experience with planting (very good at killing plants) but a year-round garden is something I've wanted to do for some time.

The room faces south and is L-shaped. The attached picture is of the bottom of the L. The southern window wall (bottom of the L) is 10'10". The western window portion is 5'7.5". Its depth, to the crook of the L, is 4'7".

You cannot see it in the pictures, but the eastern wall (or the side of the L) is full of windows but has a door. The top of the L (northern direction) also has a door. The entire thing looks to be an addition to the outside of a brick home. It has electrical sockets and windows that will open.

I think at this point I will need to have auxillary lighting for winter months. I do want to have something that waters itself, as I usually err too far in one direction or another when it comes to watering. I don't want to use the room only for a garden - I would also like to have space for seating or reading a book (hypothetically).

I'm looking for some logistical advice at this point - what good self-maintaining planters/lighting units are available for window height, even interior design ideas if you are so inclined! Basically, I hope to draw upon your experience with what you've found would work well in this type of situation.

If it helps, I've brainstormed a "dream" list of plants I eat often. Not all of them may work themselves into the plan, but I want to try to fit in as many foods as I can:

Tomato (heirloom?)

Lettuce

Spinach

Bell peppers

Rosemary

Thyme

Basil

Cilantro

Other spices?

Oranges (dwarf)

Banana (probably not! haha)

Carrot