SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

How do you guys treat your seedlings?

scottokla
14 years ago

I would like some advice on caring for the tiny seedlings just after they start emerging. Here is how I do it, but I think some of you know better than I do.

I have a large wood furnace that we heat with (solely). The living room is usually about 78 to 84 degrees and the outer rooms are about 60 degrees. I plant the pepper and tomato seeds in the 72 container flats covered with the clear plastic. I leave them on a portable small table in a place near the furnace where the temp stays at 80 or more degrees. The tomato plants start emerging in 4 days and the peppers a week or more.

What I usually do next is to uncover the tomato seedlings and move them to my grow lights in my sunroom once a third to half of the plants are visibly coming up. The sunroom is about 50 to 70 degrees depending on time of day. I do this because I have had some die in the past due to the tops keeping it too moist, plus they get so leggy so fast unless they are under the grow lights. Yet I worry about the cooler temps in the sunroom keeping the some remaining seeds from germinating. Plus I now have to sprinkle a small amount of water on the "empties" each day or two.

Any suggestions? The answer is probably a germination mat, but I hate to spend the $$ on that and limit myself to 1 or 2 trays being started at a time.

Scott

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor