SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

The most reliable, satisfying hostas around

linrose
14 years ago

This may sound like a newbie question (yeah I am kind of a relative newbie hosta person, however a knowledgable plant person) but I really would like to know, without prejudice or snobbery, which hostas are completely, without reservations, the best of the best hostas out there.

I will add to that with saying that I have a bent toward collecting, which doesn't work well with a good editing eye. I have grown all kinds of plants in my gardens over the years and now at the age of 50 something I think it is time to use that editing eye to whittle down the collection and be somewhat harsh in my judgement of all things in the garden, whatever their genus.

I kinda used to hate hostas. Yeah, I know. They were in all my neighbors garden when I was growing up. Familiarity breeds contempt. Then I went to college, got a degree in Plant and Soil Science, studied Landscape Design, then Landscape Architecture. Still hated hostas. Then I bought a house with lots of shade, had no money, bought hostas, discovered the diversity of hostas, went crazy with hostas, got over hosta hatred, and now here I am today, loving hostas but needing to edit. The editing eye is needed.

I'll tell you that I really love just a few choice hostas. So Sweet. Guacamole. Blue Angel. These have never let me down. I've got lots more but these just ring my chimes.

What about it?

Comments (10)