SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

Verbena 'Homestead Purple' alternative?

Carol_Ann
18 years ago

We have a bare slope about 30' long, 6' high, slopes fairly steeply at one end but quickly smooths out to a less severe slant. We've just about finished putting in 3 tons of landscape boulders, not as a wall of rock but as partial support (scattered clusters of boulders). I'll eventually have grasses, small shrubs, and perennials on it, but for this summer there won't be a lot. I'm considering planting V. 'Homestead Purple' over parts of it because it will go well in that location, cover a fair amount of territory quickly, and presumably not be difficult to cut back or take out when we get further along with planting. I love the plant and the color but it's also a very common one -- does anyone have another suggestion for something that will grow quickly, cover parts of a slope well, and be easy to replace/restrain later on? I'm not really interested in annuals, I don't think. Location is full sun. I'm not against V. HP, just wondering if I'm missing a more interesting/less common alternative.

Thanks!

Comments (6)