SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westgate_gw

dierama cooperi

westgate
18 years ago

Just purchased a small (very!) one of these and have been unable to locate it anywhere on Garden Web. It is supposed grow to 72 in tall (although drooping) with pale pink flowers. Has anyone grown it or can tell me anything about it? .... I saw one in bloom in Van Duzen Gardens (Vancouver, BC), but think it was a different variety. I understand it will be a LONG time before it blooms.

Comments (14)

• JuneL
    18 years ago

Also called Angel's fishing rod. There are 2 forms, a larger and a smaller one. I have one of each. They bloomed for me after one or two seasons, which was a surprise, as I too have heard they take many years. Neither of mine are very big. They don't expand as fast as grasses. good luck.
    June

• westgate
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks .... but there are several different kinds of dierama .... varying from 2 ft to 7 ft tall. This one apparently grows to 72 in.... but I have beeen unable to find this particular variety in any book.... are you sure that you have the "cooperii"?

• hemnancy
    18 years ago

I recently bought one called D. grandiflorum. It is in a 4" pot so it may take a while too. I've seen them in San Francisco in sidewalk strips, and they look lovely when blooming. I don't know which variety they were.

• JERock
    18 years ago

I have one of these, but I would have to go out and look at the tag, to know exactly which variety it is. It is such a delicate flower, but so very pretty. I didn't have to wait years for it to bloom though.

J

• JERock
    18 years ago

Okay, I got the plant tag, it's Dierama pulcherrimum 'Fairy Wand'. It says it grows to 5 feet tall.

J

• westgate
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, the problem here is ... although everyone is very helpful, no-one seems to have (or even have heard of) dierama COOPERII..... I am familiar with some of the others (seen them in the Van Duzen Gardens) but this particular variety seems to be unknown!

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

For other mentions...

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Results

• hemnancy
    18 years ago

The google links didn't talk about growing conditions. Don't Dierama like it wet? Will they grow where it may be a little too wet in the winter?

• Ratherbgardening
    18 years ago

I have one growing under the eaves of the house and it doesn't get much water in the summer, so apparantly they don't need a wet location. This year I have some type of bees nesting in the ground under the part of it I was going to trim, so I guess the trimming will have to wait. I discovered them while weeding in the area and got a warning buzz from the whole group I think; took me a minute to realize what it was.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Bumblebees and native yellowjackets both nest in the ground.

• hemnancy
    18 years ago

I mixed up species names with my Epimedium, I have Dierama pulcherrimum. It is sending up a bloom stalk in the 4" pot, and I planted it today slightly up slope from a rather wet area.

• Ratherbgardening
    18 years ago

Ron, it isn't either of those. I would not allow yellow jackets to stay there. I'll try to get a better look at them some time.

• westgate
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am beginning to find this plant mysterious and challenging! Does no-one have one, or a picture of one?
    It does seem to be a bona-fide variety, although none of my reference books list it, but have found it on the sites kindly forwarded my Garden Web Fans. Surely, I am not the only person in the world to have one? PLEEEEEEEASE!
    a PICTURE!

• sps_7_14
    16 years ago

I realize that this is an old post, but here is the information that you were looking for on the Dierama.

Happen to stumble on this post and had the nursery in my Favorites.

Just bought a beauty at Northwest Perennials, Mt Vernon, WA and will get some more at their open house in July. They are huge plants and ready to bloom.

sps

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this one