SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pgtips_gw

Veggie Starts--Seattle?

pgtips
17 years ago

Just got a plot in a community garden this week. It's been neglected, so there's a lot of clean-up work, but am hoping to start planting within the next week or so.

Since I'm getting such a late start, my current plans are to plant fast-growing seeds, and maybe a few starts (eggplant, etc.)

Can anyone suggest a source of reasonably priced, healthy starts in the Seattle area? Or is it too late in the season?

Comments (4)

• Helen_vancouver
    17 years ago

If you want to start anything from seeds, right now is the time to plant the following:

arugula
    beans
    beets
    broccoli
    cabbage
    carrots
    cilantro
    kale
    lettuce
    scallions
    peas
    spinach
    swiss chard

Only thing you might have to worry about is people stealing veggies off your plot.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Tender stuff like eggplant shouldn't even go out until June. Try a few favorite independent outlets, see if they have anything in good condition. Beware of yellowish growing tips (indicating exposure to cold nights), brown leaf edges (indicating being allowed to wilt or other misfortune).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

We have such a short growing season here for things like eggplant, squash, peppers and tomatoes that starts of these are on the waning end of availability and you should be able to find some good deals as nurseries close them out for the season.

There is still plenty of time to plant from seed fast harvesting crops like most greens and root crops (carrots, beets, turnips, radishes, etc.) are good to start now for late harvest into fall. Also plenty of time start cool season crops like brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kales and cabbages) for a later harvest as well.

• pgtips
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yay.

I found everything I needed (and more!) on closeout at Emory's in Lynnwood. Buying all these starts seems like the cheater's way, but oh, well.

Now comes the fun of prepping the soil.