SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

OT: A Drive Thru Lone Grove After The Tornado

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

On Monday, DH and I were in Ardmore and he decided to drive home through Lone Grove because he wanted me to see the path of last week's EF-4 tornado. I think he also wanted to see how much clean-up they'd done since he worked there in search-and-rescue on the day after the storm.

We drove west from Ardmore to Lone Grove and I noticed that we started seeing homes with missing shingles when we still were far away from the actual path of the storm. Virtually every house along Hwy. 70 was missing a few shingles. Some of them had tree limbs down, but clearly their damage that far from the storm's path was minor.

As we passed Pettit Machinery (our local John Deere dealer), DH told me that Pettit had suffered only minor damage but was without power for a while and had to operate by generator. I didn't see any structural damage there. Then, we crested the hill and I saw the area where the tornado plowed through town.

Carol, John's Furniture is just in shambles. There's still a lot of debris, but other than that, all that remains is unrecognizable debris laying on the concrete slab. If the slab wasn't there, you'd never know a building had ever been there. The house adjacent to it (where the granddaughter lived, I think) had major damage, but the roof had been tarped so it might be livable.

The feed store is only about a 1/4 mile west of the furniture store and it is twisted, mangled sheet metal although I think (if my memory isn't failing me) it was mostly still standing, although obviously not structurally sound. The trees looked like someone came through with a weedeater and cut them off a various heights. The parts of trees still standing still have power lines, grass, sheet metal, shredded pink fiberglass insulation, etc. hanging in them. Everywhere you look, large pastures and open spaces are filled with debris, although many homeowners have cleaned up their own yards.

The post office roof had been repaired and was almost finished Monday afternoon when we went through there, and I heard yesteday on the news that Lone Grove has mail service running again. There still were a lot of areas with no power, and plenty of power lines still in the trees and on the ground.

Miraculously, the church on Hwy 70 (I think it was the Baptist Church but it might have been the Church of Christ) was still standing even though the path of the storm was "thisclose" to it. The Church lost its steeple and had a little roof damage, but appeared otherwise untouched and it looked like it is being used as a recovery/outreach center as a lot of trucks (fire, law enforcement, relief organizations, etc.) were parked there. The Oklahoma Baptist Relief group (I don't remember their official name) had what looked like a portable canteen in the parking lot still serving meals to those who need them.

We drove down several streets, and I know I won't remember all their names, but Meridian was one (I think that is where the trailer park used to be) and Evergreen was another.

DH pointed out to me the remains of the home where the elderly gentleman passed away the night of the tornado, and told me that of the two surviving people from that home who had been airlifted to Parkland Hospital in Dallas, one had passed away the day after the tornado, and he was the son of the elderly victim. I noticed as we drove by that several people dressed up in "church clothes" were standing on the lot looking at the debris and seemed shell-shocked. I assumed they were family members and perhaps had just come from the funeral.

Of course, there was massive damage everywhere, but then we turned down Meridian and drove by the site that used to house the trailer park. There is nothing recognizable left there. There's tons of trees down and shredded debris but nothing you'd recognize as a piece of a house or household materials. The level of destruction on that road was stunning. I know I stared at it in silent disbelief. Even the plants were sucked up out of the ground. Seeing it on TV is one thing, but seeing it in person is so much worse. If you didn't know a trailer park had been there, you'd never guess it ever existed. Some of the existing stick-built homes nearby were surprisingly intact.

I've only seen damage from an EF-4 once before this and I hope never to see it again. When you think about the people who lost their lives, and the families who lost their homes, virtually everything they owned, their vehicles, and even their pets.....well, you just wonder how people recover from losses of that magnitude.

The good news is that the people of Lone Grove are strong, they are survivors, and everyone is helping everyone else. The air is filled with the sounds of recovery: generators, chain saws, bulldozers, etc. The linemen are busy restoring power, and the churches are all involved, in one way or another, in the recovery. One church is collecting photos and documents, drying them off and cleaning off the mud if they can, and posting them so folks can come and claim them.

One thing that stands out in my mind is how very few in-ground tornado shelters I saw. I suspect that, as people rebuild, a lot more tornado shelters will go into the ground near the rebuilt homes, or they'll put above-ground saferooms in the houses. Here in Love County, as you drive up the roads here or there, you see a lot more tornado shelters than I saw in Lone Grove. I don't know why.

On Tuesday afternoon, I spoke to some tornado survivors from the NW Love County community of Orr. Although the tornado came very close to their part of Orr, their homes were not damaged and they rode out the two waves of storms in their storm shelter and then immediately came out to conduct search-and-rescue in the damaged areas of Orr and Courtney. They spoke of a few homes severely damaged or destroyed but I believe they said they didn't have any injuries there.

One told me of a neighbor up the road from them a little ways. As the search-and-rescue team arrived at his home (still intact) to check on him, they found him weeping. The storm had spared his life and didn't damage his home, but it took out his barn. The framing of the horse barn still stood, but all the sheet metal walls and roofing were gone. Just completely and totally gone. Why was he weeping? His four horses that were inside that barn were untouched, and he was crying tears of gratitude. That kind of story makes me want to cry. Many people in Orr sought shelter in their community storm shelter, which is the basement of the Orr school. They noticed it was in need of repair, so they spent some time this past weekend drying it out, cleaning it up and waterproofing it so it will be in better shape the next time the community needs to use it.

So, that's what we saw in Lone Grove and the surrounding area. The tornado was, of course, completely devastating to the folks whose lives were affected by it, but the area was relatively small--maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide and about 4 or 5 miles long. The schools and churches escaped relatively unscathed and, while the loss of life is indeed tragic, it is a wonder the death toll was not higher.

Carol, to look at all that and to realize your family survived it.....well, it was simply amazing. How blessed they must feel.

Dawn

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor