SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changingitup

Vegetable garden sun times?

changingitup
10 years ago

I am getting ready to start a vegetable garden in Portland and having a hard time locating it partially because of the house shadow and hours of sun. I have two locations I am considering, one may get about an hour more of direct light but reduce my large families gathering space. The other spot has an hour less sun and, although the house shadow is not affecting it right now, is in more jeopardy of that becoming a problem later in the summer. I was wondering about how many hours of sun Portland gardeners are getting on their gardens? In particular, fruiting plants like tomatoes which ive read like about 10 hours in order to be productive. Also between what hours are you receiving direct sun? For instance, 9.30-5?

My garden will be on the north side of my house. I read somewhere that since the sun is (almost) to its most northern point that the shadow from the house will increase from The summer solstice through the end of the growing season, can anyone who may have been paying attention to this let me know if the shadow increases by approximately half or more like a quarter of what it is now by September (is that the end of summer gardening?)? Thanks

Comments (17)