SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Fragrant Rayless Gaillardia--Anyone Grow This?

susanlynne48
13 years ago

I just came across this one in the Bustani Plant Farm catalog, and it is going to be a new addition to my garden this year. When you first look at it, there doesn't appear to be anything extraordinary at all about it. Flowers with no rays - what's up with that? I know there are some out there, but I never stopped to really pay attention to the descriptions.

This is a native to Oklahoma, and fragrant (commonly called Perfume Balls, altho I don't view this plant as very common at all). Butterflies are said to be drawn to it, too. It grows from a dark green rosette of foliage, from which the flower scapes arise. In a grouping, it might be very distinctive looking. Among other plants, it probably grows much like Verbena bonariensis. It grows in lean soil, zones 5-9, and once established, is very drought tolerant, like many Gaillardias.

Thought I'd share this in case anybody out there has grown it and can give more input, and if anyone might be interested in a fragrant native, xeric plant.

Chandra and Sammie - I have ordered from Bustani before and their plants are excellent. If one can drive to Stillwater, even better, because you can wander thru Steve's gardens and nursery.

Look at the butterflies on these flowers!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Bustani Plant Farm--Gaillardia suavis

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022