SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

The Rats Of Nihm

runktrun
15 years ago

As I mentioned on another thread I have had a lot of habitat destruction from my abutting neighbors in the last six months that has caused my property to become a small animal refuge which frankly was destructive to my ornamentals but tolerable. The real problem started two weeks ago when a neighbor with an old barn that borders an agricultural field knocked it down and moved in with heavy equipment. Joe is convinced that just like in the story The Rats of Nihm this colony of rats packed their little suite cases and moved to the greener pastures of my property, still smiling he mentioned I might check the electric bill to try and determine if they are stealing electricity from us. If I werent so phobic about rodents this would be just another one of lifeÂs details; have the chimney cleaned, have the oil changed in the car, and oh yea call the exterminator regarding the barn rats that have moved in. Frankly this is my worst fear realized and it is not going to be resolved any time soon, this displaced colony has rats of all sizes and ages. How do I know this you askÂwell now that many of them have eaten poison bait from the traps I am finding dead rats throughout the garden. In the few moments of calm clarity that I have experienced through this ordeal I will admit I have stumbled on some new to me interesting information that I thought I would share.

1. Once a colony of rats have moved in it is extremely difficult to get rid of them.

2. Rats favorite food is bird seed that is what they would naturally forage for. Birdhouses and seed should be on poles and in trays rats can't get

3. They need a source for standing water dew or an irrigation system is not enough for them.

4. They are not interested in eating a tomato plant but would enjoy eating the rotting fruit on the ground.

5. Rats and mice stay near home. Norway rats may travel only in an area 100 to 150 feet in diameter each day.

6. Plant bushes so they will stay at least 3 feet from your house.

7. Rats like to live under and around wood so stack fire wood 18 inches off the ground and away from all buildings.

8. Rats are omnivorous, eating both plants and small animals. They may be attracted to your garden by vegetables or the insects and grubs living in the soil.

9. Rats are predatory animals and may attack a smaller animal such as a mouse or small bird, but rats attacking mammals that are larger than them is not a usual occurrence. However, rats WILL bite. If they believe they are cornered or you startle them, it is possible for them to bite in defense. Children have a high prevalence of being bitten. Usually, when you walk outside, the rat will run into its burrow faster than you can blink. To reduce your chances of being bitten, when moving items around in a shed or other storage area, be careful when reaching into dark areas. ItÂs a good idea to make loud noises when entering the area to scare the rat away. Be cautious of deep containers which a rat may have fallen into and couldnÂt get out of. You can tip it over and let the rat run away (it might scream when you approach the containerÂbelieve me, they are more afraid of you than you are of them). All bites should be disinfected immediately and if you have any concerns about rat bite fever, you should seek medical treatment.

There does not seem to be one type of extermination for rats outdoors that everyone agrees on, there are those folks who believe poison bait is the most effective, others feel the snap traps are kinder, of course cat owners swear by their felines prowess. I have for the next month at least decided to enjoy my gardens from indoors so if any of you have any experience with rodents outdoors I would be thankful for the info. kt

Comments (23)