SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

How Much Rain From All This Snow?

susanlynne48
13 years ago

On the news this morning, I heard a startling fact. From the 19.2" of snow we got, the amount of moisture (rain equivalent) was only .84". Not nearly enough to pull us out of drought. I knew we'd only get a little, but based on a previous post someone said we should get 1" for every 10" of snow we receive, but in this particular case, it didn't happen like that. Other factors played into the equation, like the extreme low temps and dryness of the air, that reduced the amount of moisture we were able to "squeeze" from the snow. The dry air apparently, according to the experts, just sucked the moisture out of what snow we did get. That and the fact that the snow was a "dry" snow to begin with. All combined to result in a low moisture amount.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the northern parts of Oklahoma that received much larger amounts of snow didn't get any more moisture from the snow than we did because of their lower temps. It's like somebody squeezed all the water out of the wash cloth and we are left with a barely damp cloth that won't wash the dirt off of our faces!

Once this snow is gone, I'm afraid we're gonna be right back to high fire danger state-wide.

Errrrrrrrr........

Susan

Comments (5)