SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Native Plant of the Week-Hummers Love It!

susanlynne48
14 years ago

Thought I would try to start posting (others join in if you want, please!) a native plant of the week. It is not only important to keep these forbs, grasses, vines, whatever, from becoming endangered by loss of land, but because they often attract some beautiful wildlife.

The plant? Spigelia marilandica, commonly called Indian Pink.

I began growing this delightful plant about 3 or 4 years ago in my backyard which is mostly shade. It will grow in sun, part sun, part shade, or shade, and still blooms a ton no matter the exposure, so that already makes it a desirable, versatile little plant. It grows by rhizomes that do not become invasive, but do spread invitingly - why I say invitingly is because once you have it you'll wish you had more....and more....and more.

The second thing is I have let it go an entire year without any supplemental watering and it just seems to do even better! Wow!

Third, it produces the most gorgeous tubular red blooms with a yellow interior that brighten up a shady spot or enhance a sunny spot. More wow!

Fourth, hummingbirds love it! It provides lots of nectar!

Fifth, mine has not had any pests or diseases on it....at all.

It is a much overlooked wildflower that should be grown more widely because of, well, all of the above!

Susan

No, I am not a promoter of Plant Delights Nursery - they just had a really nice photo of it, and yes, you can find it other places for much less money. Not likely you will find it at the local nursery, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Pink

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County