SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dougald_gw

Factors Affecting Hosta Growth

dougald_gw
9 years ago

In July, jonnyb023 proposed that we collectively try to examine the factors affecting hosta growth for various classes of hostas (see the thread http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0721070822119.html ) . At the time Jon received a rather lukewarm response.

I still believe that Jon's idea had merit and would like to pursue it. Now that my season has more or less ended, I have time to analyse and work on this problem. But to do so, I would need help from the experiences of the many growers here.

Rather than take on the scale of the study Jon proposed, I would like to start by limiting my efforts to one moderately difficult plant (Great Expectations). If the study can produce a better understanding, then the methodology could be adapted for a larger study along the lines that Jon proposed in July.

To carry out the study, I would prepare a short survey questionnaire that those who grow (or have tried unsuccessfully to grow) GE could respond to. This questionnaire should be quite short and test the various factors which have been put forward by Forum participants over the past several years. The survey response could be emailed to me and I would prepare an analysis which would be shared with all of you.

Is their enough enthusiasm on the Forum for this to make it possible?

Doug

Comments (15)