SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Questions for local water gardeners

girlndocs
17 years ago

I'm starting my very first, small, simple container water garden (just water hyacinth, mostly, and maybe some goldfish or tadpoles, haven't decided which, if either).

First, I've read conflicting things about goldfish hardiness. If I get the little feeder fish from the pet store (nothing fancy) will they survive being left outside through the winter? The location is a semi-sheltered east exposure -- can I help protect them by covering the container or something? I'm not sure I want to commit to caring for them inside till spring.

I'm not stuck on goldfish, either; if anyone can recommend a species that will be hardier through the winter and do OK in a small container without aeration or (much) supplemental feeding, I'm all ears.

Second, can anyone recommend a Tacoma-local source for native species of tadpoles? I was thinking about Pacific tree frog primarily but leopard frogs would be a second choice.

Third, does anyone happen to have duckweed they'd like to share? I don't have anything to swap that a more experienced gardener would be interested in, I think, but I understand that if you have duckweed you have extra duckweed, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Kristin

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville