SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cascadians

Are Birds Good for Trees?

cascadians
16 years ago

Lots of birds here in the PacNW, and lots of trees: Does anybody know if birds help baby trees get stronger by flitting on their branches? Or is that hard on saplings?

I've got 23 bird stations around the house, started New Year's Eve 2005 and now this is Bird Mecca, with all manner of finches, sparrows, chickadees, flickers, starlings, crows, hummingbirds, black-headed grosbeaks, bushtits, junkos, towhees, red-winged blackbirds, wrens, thrush, hawks, bluejays, robins, cedar waxwings, swallows, downy woodpeckers, etc. Over 300 baby trees in the yard which are swarming with birds, The guano's supposed to be good, but what about the weight of the birds? And they're always rubbing their beaks on the branches.

Will they eat harmful insects? Or be too spoiled and lazy from the thistle and sunflower seeds to eat bugs? Do you have a tree damaged by birds?

This may sound strange, but sometimes I think the trees are cheery and welcome the bird company, all these colors and feathers alighting on their branches and singing and congregating and hopping around. Especially in winter. Does it strengthen the new limbs? Anything I should be watching for?

Comments (9)