SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Great Hard-To-Find Woody Plants- in Ct. Nurseries

arbo_retum
17 years ago

We just returned from a Bday "fill-the-van-to-the-gills with plants" trip to some wonderful Ct. nurseries.Here are SOME of the super plants that I so gleefully found there:

TWOMBLYS: What amazing display gardens. In the nursery, lots of well-grown and unusual large potted trees and shrubs. Not knowledgable older man/worker, Al, but at end I met knowledgable owner- short guy.

Sorbus hupehensis Pink Cascade Mountain Ash. So rare(NOT in Dirrs!!) the only Tw. worker there that knows anything about it  is the Owner!! Beaut. BLUE locust-like leaves, mauve berries. Relatively narrow, not dense, tree.( ie you can grow things under it.) Exc specimens- 10Â.not super exp.

Choc. Leaved Albizia. After speaking with the owner about hardiness, I wish I had gotten one. IÂve been thinking about it for awhile. (Less knowledgable worker,Al,had convinced me otherwise.)

BIG varieg aralias- $500. but biggest IÂve seen. ( v.s. $125 for SMALL ones at BrokenArrow)

Rhodotypus- NOBODY has this. BIG ones, v.cheap. Great for long spring bloom in DRY dense shade. Looks like kerria foliage- fountain of small serrated leaves, single white flower- like crabapple blossom.

Styrax Obassia. Beautiful small tree. Nobody has this either. And they also have styrax japon- straight, and pink one.

Schizophragma hydr. Moonlight- REALLY GOOD DEAL- $12 for 2 Gal pots wintered over. Healthy thick trunk plants. Such a deal. Rosea too.

Berberis Helmonds Pillar no longer avail after 12/06 in mass.

Vib. Nudum Winterthur- google it. supposed to be one of the absolute MUST HAVES of vibÂs.

Corylus red majestic- hunka 5 gal plants. seems that ppl foliage stays dark for well into summer.

QUACKIN GRASS: good sale on perennials. Huge pots of ligularia- Rocket etc- for cheap. Halesia Uconn Wedding Bells- big hunka, inexp. hard to find this even though it originated at uconn.

Var. Zelkova _____ goshiki- a must have small varieg tree. Can take shade. So delicate.similar graceful effect as Cercis Silver Cloud

Acer Negundo Aurea- I love the A.Neg.Kelly's Gold for its outstanding all-season yellow foliage. it was derived from this aurea.

VARIEGATED FOLIAGE NURSERY: exc plants of molinia caerulia varieg. Twice as big as others IÂve seen.

Ilex Sun Splash.

Spirea Pink Ice- like a small shrub version of the spectacular Jap maple- Ukigumo. Small white foliage spray-painted w/ green.even in shade.

Morus Alba Paper Dolls- Gn and Yell. variega-big splashes.never seen offered.

Huge selection of varieg plants of all types. Owner,Stan, has been v. ill but they're continuing . Drew v. helpful.

BROKEN ARROW: (almost evthng here I have not seen sold elsewhere in ct/ma.) EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGABLE Andy and Adam:

Acer Negundo Kelly's Gold : one of the top 5 trees i have.4 seasons value.

Betula Renczi 2- dk ppl foliage; WHITE bark (appears w/ some age)

Cepholanthus- wet loving. July soft hairy 1 ½" diam.white balls. Fell in love w/ this at Stonecrop last july. Never seen elsewhere- for display OR sale.

Many cornus:

Cornus alba aurea gets huge, exc yell fol.

C.sericea Hedgerow Gold- best grn/yell var. c.

c. alternifolia Golden Shadows gn and yell var. version of small dainty tree.v.v. rare.

c. controversa Janine. Gn/yell var. of lg handsome c. Also V.V. rare.

Corylopsis glabrescens -along w/coryl.spiccata and its other sisters, BEST e. spring shrub. Delicate arched stems w/ lg leaves and loaded w/ pale yellow bells.Because itÂs so ÂthinÂ(doesnÂt cast shade to speak of) it can be interplanted under taller fuller things,.in between perennials etc.

Hydrang. Little Honey- yell lved oak leaf hydr

Hydr, Quercif.Snowflake DOUBLE flower cones.V hard to find.

Kerria Picta no one has this. Healthy 3 gal pots.

Sino calycanthus. Fast grower. BIG flowered version of calycanthus. Venus(white) and Hartledge Wine (maroon)

Corylus red majestic- hunka 5 gal? plants. H.lauders walking stick.Seems that ppl foliage stays dark for well into summer.

Salix alba sericea- one of my top 3 trees (can be kept as shrub). The best silver foliage tree. FAST growing.

Cledastrus Lutea Perkins Pink.

Pterostyrax Hispida

Xanthocerus sorbifolia

Stewartia Scarlet Sentinel (red centered flower)

Zenobia WoodlanderÂs Blue ice bl fol, med.white bells

Ilex Sun Splash- I think they introÂd it.

Vib.Cassinoides

Best, Mindy

Comments (16)