SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appledeco

X-Post - Which plants where?

appledeco
14 years ago

Hi all. I posted this on the landscape design forum, but I wanted to get your opinions as well.

Well, I'm in the new house and this spring I'll be starting out slow. I don't have any money for plants, so I'm going to take what I have from our townhouse. Our townhouse is being rented out. The tenant doesn't care either way about the plants, but her dog has flattened almost all of them. I don't know how much damage was done, but they'll be free, so I'm going to try and see how they do at our house.

The plants in question are:

(3) Zebra Grasses

(6) Elijah Blue Fescues

(3) Yuccas

(3) Walker's Low Catmints

Here's my house (which faces NE but gets nice bright light in the morning):

{{gwi:8091}}

1) This is a bed separated from the rest of the yard by the sidewalk. I'll be removing and giving away the boxwoods from this area. This is the only place I'd feel comfortable planting the yuccas because I don't want them to take over. This area is approx. 7'x10'.

2) I'd like to have some sort of medium height plant here for privacy - the windows look into a bedroom.

3) Eventually I'd like to get some sort of ornamental tree for this location (with other plants taking up much of the rest of the yard), just so you get a better idea of balance.

Any ideas of where things should go? I was thinking of maybe lining the rock wall (1) with the zebra grass and having some sort of fountain grass in the corner (where the furthest boxwood is) OR planting the zebra grass (1, 2, or 3?) in the corner and surrounding with lower plants.

Ideas? Other suggestions are welcome!

(fyi, the house is in the midst of being painted, the trim is a dark bronze color and the field is a khaki color)

Comments (5)