SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ani_t

Confused about how this would work

ani_t
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about planting hostas all over my garden - in raised beds (I will heed the advice received here about not piling on soil under douglas firs!)

I am getting ton of compost delivered tommorrow and am wondering how all this will work. I am going to put landscape fabric and plastic sheeting (8 mil blue- leftover from a vapor barrier in crawlspace project) ) and fill over it with compost ... the idea is to make beds where the tree roots wont invade

My question is about how established hostas would deal with not being watered (after they've kind of grown in place for a year or so of being watered etc) I have some boxwoord just outside my door which get rain but not much else. They've done fine! I'd say thrived.

I am wondering if its because somehow they have roots that go deep and get water from there (? dont laugh please )

If I put plastic under hostas how will my hostas have roots that go so deep ?

Most important how deep should my hosta beds be ? what should I add to the compost ? Thanks (freaking about the 10yards of compost that will be in the driveway tommorrow!)

Comments (8)