SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heatherisnotaweed

Eastern Redbud impulse purchase..need info

heatherisnotaweed
18 years ago

I bought an Eastern Redbud at Lowes bare root sale yesterday! It was such a good deal I couldn't resist, but now that I have it home and am looking on the web for info, I can't find any info for growing it around here. Does anyone here have one growing happily? Do they need to be in the same shady enironment that is appropriate for them in the east? I have always wanted one, but I hope it will grow here.

Heather

Comments (19)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Redbuds are not uncommon here - we sell a lot of them. They are perfectly happy in full sun. Rather susceptible to verticillium wilt and tend not be exceptionally long lived. And not drought tolerant - water well in summer. Western redbuds, Cercis occidentalis, are rather better suited to this area but far less common. A bit more shrubby in form.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you! That's good news.

• toymkr
    18 years ago

I'm an old Kansas transplant and have had an eastern redbud here in Shoreline for about 30 yrs..happy in poor sandy soil along the street and full sun......about 30' tall with a trunk 10" thru at the base. It is getting to be a little bit of a geriatric case but still looks good. I'm looking forward to it blooming in a few weeks

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Let's see: if the tree is a geriatric case and you planted it, then that must mean...

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ha ha ha! He's gotcha there! Wait a minute...what does that make ME then? Hey!

• sarahmakes6
    18 years ago

I planted an Eastern Redbud 'Forest Pansy' last summer and got to enjoy its beautiful fall foilage. I keep checking it and so far it only has the tiniest little knobs of buds on the branches. When exactly does the Eastern Redbud bud out in the northwest?

• SeniorBalloon
    18 years ago

They do bud out late. I can't recall the exact date, but ours is always one of the last plants in our garden to open up. I am always wondering if it died.

jb

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

As a rule Cercis are characteristic of hot climates. Note that there are species native to much of USA, including California but the genus gives our region a wide berth. Plant in full sun and good drainage.

Cercis canadensis is common as a planted tree in Seattle. See Jacobson, TREES OF SEATTLE - SECOND EDITION for locations of specific examples.

• toymkr
    18 years ago

Chucklin' about bboy's ? about relative ages.....yesssssss.....I reckon I qualify bein' on the far side of 60. Many younger ones wish they could keep up tho and thankin' my great ancestors for that.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I like that it buds later, staggered a bit with the other trees. Full sun is good news, since I have very little shade!

Heather

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Must be all those toys.

• maryinpnw
    18 years ago

I have an Eastern Redbud, "Forest Pansy'" in the front yard. Planted in 1996. Clay soil, amended before the tree went into the hole. No problems. Pretty purplish buds are not blooming yet. Then the heart shaped leaves appear. I get much more excited about vegetable gardening, but this is one lovely tree. I hope you enjoy yours.

Mary

• sarahmakes6
    18 years ago

Mary, do you have any photos of yours? I'd love to see it.

• maryinpnw
    18 years ago

I'm sorry, sarahmakes6, I don't have any photos. Have you googled to find a picture? I have not experimented with Asian gardening, but I bet it would be lovely in a formal Japanese or Chinese garden. Just my 2 cents.

Mary

• lmtost
    18 years ago

Thank you everyone for saying your cercis has not bloomed yet! Everyday I am all but begging my tree to bloom. Toward the end of last summer we did not water very well and I was afraid it was dead. But, I too, see very little buds forming on the branches. At this point they look dried up, but I keep hoping.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

You don't say where you are, but redbuds have been in bloom in Seattle area for awhile now.

• maryinpnw
    17 years ago

Mine is now in bloom. Lovely tree.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine never bloomed. It has leaves now. I think it must have bloomed just before I bought it.

Heather

• castawaykev
    15 years ago

I am looking for some seeds if anyone knows where to get them

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting