SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sassy7142

Neem Oil

sassy7142
14 years ago

I got the Neem Oil that I had ordered and sprayed the affected hostas today, along with many others for good measure that are in the same beds.

Has anyone else tried the Neem Oil on their hostas for nematodes?

If so, did it work or did I just waste my money and time?

Here's the info that I found on Neem Oil....

Neem Oil affects over 400 varieties of insects and is an important part of an integrated pest management strategy.

In addition to working as a natural leaf polish, neem oil is a biodegradeable, fast acting insect bio-inhibitor.

The oil is absorbed by the pests and interferes with reproduction and feeding for a steady decline in population.

Repels larvae and adults.

Blocking the molting of larvae or nymphs.

Disturbing or inhibiting the development of the eggs, larvae, or pupae.

Disturbing mating and sexual communication.

Sterilising adults

Deterring females from laying eggs.

Deterring feeding

Neem Oil For Animals

Neem Oil And Insects

Neem oil is a botanical pesticide made from an extract of the plant Azadirachta indica. Since it doesn't strongly affect

humans, mammals, or beneficial bugs, farmers use neem oil as an insecticide and miticide to keep away pests like aphids

and white flies. Neem oil even protects crops from fungal infections such as mildew and rust. People use insecticide with

neem oil to repel mosquitoes and lice.

The plant that gives us neem oil originates in Southeast Asia. People from these countries have long noted the benefits of

crushing the leaves and stems against their skin to keep off biting insects like gnats. A wider industrial and commercial

use was found for the potent oil by grinding the seeds of the neem plant. When the oil is distilled from seeds, its

concentrated mixture contains high amounts of the active chemical azadirachtin.

Azadirachtin-rich neem oil gets sprayed on crops as an organic substitute for other harsher insecticides that might be

carcinogenic or have limited uses. Neem oil repels harmful insects like white flies, gnats, aphids, mites, and weevils,

as well as strengthening the crops against rust, scab, mildew, and blight. Edible crops of vegetables do not get poisoned

when neem oil is used.

Neem oil makes the plants it touches taste bitter, so pests won't eat them, as a "contact" insecticide. Azadirachtin also

interrupts insects' transitions between different stages of metamorphosis, such as growing from larvae to pupae.

It prevents insects from developing a hardened exoskeleton. When the chemical gets absorbed through the roots of crops,

it functions as a "systemic insecticide." That means crops don't need to be constantly re-sprayed.

The greatest benefit of using neem oil is that it doesn't harm beneficial insects. Butterflies, earthworms, and bees all help

plants pollinate or absorb nutrients. Lacewings eat insects trying to feed on the crops. But these bugs won't have a negative

reaction to neem oil or azadirachtin.

Neem oil has even made it into cosmetic and household products. Lotions and skin sprays use the oil as a mild insecticide that

isn't likely to cause rashes. If you soak cotton balls in neem oil and place them in your closet, it will dissuade wool moths

from devouring your clothes. While neem oil smells faintly of garlic, many people prefer it to stronger chemical alternatives.

Comments (7)