SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

How Severe Is The Drought & We're Seeing It Spread Northward

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

A couple of days ago, I was speaking with a neighbor who lives just a couple of miles from us and who has both a very large garden and raises cattle. She grew up in this area and told me that this is the "worst drought" she can ever remember, and absolutely the worst one since she and DH retired to Oklahoma 25 years ago after a military career that had taken them away from OK for quite a few years.

My neighbor mentioned that their pond on one piece of property dried up for the first time ever, and they are having to run "city water" for the cows to drink. She also said that a pond on their ranch that has never dried up before, is now the lowest it has ever been and will soon dry up if rain doesn't fall.

Like many of us here in southern OK, she said it was so dry that she is almost afraid to even leave the house to go into town because the wildfire danger is so high. I feel exactly the same way. And, in fact, at the west end of the county yesterday, a shed caught fire in someone's yard and then that fire spread to their house before firefighters even arrived on-scene. Normally, a shed fire is fairly minor.....even if you lose the shed and everything in it, you don't expect to lose the house. I feel just terrible for that family. Their case illustrates the point that in wickedly dry conditions, even the most dedicated firefighters cannot work miracles.

So, I was wondering to myself, is this the worst drought ever for our part of the state? So, I did a lot of online research and learned, that for southcentral OK, this is "only" the 4th-worst drought ever, since they began keeping records 81 years ago. Statistically speaking, it is even worse than 2005-2006, when the exceptional drought gave us our worst fire season ever.

One way I have "tracked" the drought as it has moved from southern OK up into central and northern OK is by watching the Keetch-Byram Drought Index map and the County Burn Ban Map. Using both of those measures, the drought that has plagued much of southern OK (and the panhandle) since mid-summer 2007, is now rapidly spreading.

On the KBDI map, which has various colors for various degrees of dryness, we are starting to change to a purplish-red that I've never seen before--not even in 2006. On the county burn ban map, there were only 2 or 3 counties with burn bans back in November--I think they were Marshall, Love and Bryan County. Now? At last count, there were 31. I've linked that map below and, if you look at it, you can tell by the burn bans just which areas are likely the driest. In case you are not familiar with the county burn ban law, it requires the county commissioners renew a series of 7-day bans if they want a long-term burn ban. Most counties, once they start, do keep renewing the ban every week unless enough rain falls that they feel comfortable letting their burn ban expire.

I am now watering daily just to keep the trees, shrubs and perennials alive, and it is becoming likely that it won't matter how much I water--there is a point where we're likely to lose much of our landscape plants anyway. I dread the arrival of the water bill, but I can't bear the thought of losing our entire landscape so I'll water until we can't afford to water anymore, or until water restrictions kick in. We've never had water restrictions in our water district, but I think we'll have them before summer arrives if rain doesn't start falling.

I am simply beside myself. I have written often about how bad the drought is here, to the point that I have run out of words to describe it. Watching it spread and make its way across the state is just so sad. Depressing. I know ranchers here who will have to start selling their cows if rain doesn't fall in the spring. When all of this happened in 05-06, we thought it would "never" be this bad again. Yet, here we are, just a couple of years later, and it has happened again. I'm not a drought "wimp" either. I can remember some really dry years from my childhood, but I've never seen anything like this.

In our small band of sandy soil, the soil has the fine, fluffy texture of flour. The improved garden soil is only ever-so-slightly better, and the clay is concrete. Cracked concrete.

One part of me keeps making lists of what I'll plant, and where I'll plant it, etc. The other part of me says that planting a garden at all this year is just stupid because I won't be able to water it enough to keep it alive, much less producing. I am really on the fence about whether or not to plant a garden, and as I watch "our" drought becoming "your" drought too, I wonder what lies ahead of us this year.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: County Burn Ban Map

Comments (6)