SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Dwarf and mini hosta in pots or bowls

User
11 years ago

The mini hosta take special care to avoid being overwhelmed by the big brothers all around them. I would like to see what sort of container you use for your small fry. Do you place them separately or with other mini hosta, or maybe a companion plant?

What container do you like the best? I have two round fairly shallow bowls where I keep 4 and 5 hosta. Plain containers really. Some photos I saw in the Hosta Library had very fancy containers.

Can you show off your minis, and also what bowls or containers work the best for you? There is HostaHillbilly's thread about his Hacienda bed, and Myrle's fantasy small hosta planting too. Don't want to step into that smaller world, but just do the container bit here.

Welcome to post any of the dwarf, mini, or smaller hosta...Go ahead.

#1..contains Atom Smasher (biggest, and from there clockwise around) Silver Threads & Golden Needles, Snow Mouse, Cracker Crumbs, and Pure Heart (another Mouse Family hosta).

2. ...contains Pandora's Box @ the 9:00 position, and 2 Tiny Tears (opposite one another @ 6 and 12), and Dixie Queen @ 3:00.

The first one has a seeping unglazed terra cotta jug in it, which puts water at the roots of the hosta. This is new to me, but it seems to keep them moist near the roots. I now keep a lid over the top to keep skeeters from breeding or dirt falling in, or insects. I have another smaller such seeping pot to place in the middle of the #2 bowl. Just haven't gotten around to it.

BTW, placing Atom Smasher in there was a mistake out of fatigue, I will replace him with my small venusta, more in line with the other minis in that #1 bowl.

Comments (3)