SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karilei

Moving to Corvallis, OR, pls. advise how to spend inheritance!

karilei
18 years ago

Short Question, Long Background:

I'm calling on all you gardening experts out there be it in years, or practice, or education...

After having rented various houses and apartments all over California (LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Humboldt, Susanville) and Nevada (Elko and Reno) for the past 12 years and moving around on average a little less than a year, my husband and I are buying our first home in Corvallis, OR. We move mid April. Coincidentally, I just received a small bit of inheritance money from my grandmother. Having lived to the ripe old age of one week shy of 101, I thought it fitting to spend the money in a way that she would approve of. Seeing as how she lived through the depression and always gardened to feed her family (the first in Champagne, Urbana, IL to have cherry tomatoes) I think she'd like that I'm choosing to spend some of it on developing my gardening hobby. I guess I'm a beginner, but I'd say I was a fast learner. I haven't had the luxury of space and being in one place long enough to set up raised beds, but I've dabbled here and there never wanting to put in much money because I wouldn't be able to bring it on our move. So, say you have nothing to your gardening arsenal and will have .23 acres and a nearly blank slate with which to play, how would you spend say, $700 not counting plants? I want to know what's essential, what's not, what's a gimmik, what would be really handy if you were just starting out, what's worth investing in and getting quality... I have already browsed around other forums, but I'm curious about the answer if you were starting from scratch and if you had your druthers. Oh, some useful bit of information is that I am a 28 yr. old female, 5'10, small boned, would like to go as organic as possible (I will double dig, research biointensive techniques, compost, maybe even vermicompost kitchen scraps in the garage, and would like to try growing from seed or winter sowing - maybe both) and was recently diagnosed with a moderate case of carpal tunnel syndrom. I could very much use your advice so that I don't make those common beginner's mistakes on purchases that some of you were kind enough to post about for others to learn from.

Thank you Kindly ahead of time for the time it took you to read this and the time it'll take you to reply (hopefully),

Kari

Comments (12)