SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockman50

Haskell's in New Bedford----offocially closed and shuttered

rockman50
10 years ago

So I went over to Haskell's in New Bedford yesterday to check the status. Last year they were still open selling plants but the once beautiful property was clearly not being maintained. But what I saw yesterday was truly sad. The place is a complete wreck. The greenhouses were never emptied. They were filled with tropicals/subtropicals that are all dead. It looks like they pulled the plug on the greenhouses last fall and just let everything die this winter. What a shame. They could have given that stuff away instead of just letting it all die.

This is really the end of an era for me. Allen Haskell (who died in 2004) landscaped my parent's home back in the 1970's and he taught me how to care for each and every plant. That is how I got into gardening. And I always loved to just go to his place in New Bedford and just walk the property a few times each year. For a few years after his death I was hopeful that what he created would be preserved by his kids. But the dream is dashed. RIP

Comments (6)

• kpaquette
    10 years ago

How sad. I loved those greenhouses. I can't imagine looking into them and seeing dead plants. Why didn't they have a sale, or give them away? I still have a couple of their beautiful topiaries, which I can't find anywhere now.

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

I'm glad I haven't stopped in to see for myself - it sounds awfully sad. I have a lot of memories of afternoons spent there - it was always a worthwhile trip.

• carol6ma_7ari
    10 years ago

I found an article from last Fall, about the changes, moves, etc. Here's a link - I hope this works: (I think if you delete '&template=printart', it might work better, but don't know for sure.)

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120923/LIFE/209230301&template=printart

Here is a link that might be useful: News article about Haskell Nursery

• kpaquette
    10 years ago

So, the article says the business will continue at the family farm in Fairhaven? Does anyone know anything about that? The website is the old one and hasn't been updated.

• rockman50
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that link Carol. I had no idea what was happening! That is great news that the site will be preserved and the gardens will be restored. I can't wait to see and enjoy the property after it is revitalized.

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

Amazing! Trustees of Reservations is the perfect custodian, but I do wonder if they can possibly be right when they claim it will only cost 2.5 million to restore it.