SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cesperon

Need Fast Growing Privacy Plants- special circumstances..

cesperon
17 years ago

(long I know but I am trying to address all the issues I am facing)

I know this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find an answer that pertianed to my zone & circustances. My neighbor's dog is driving me NUTS!! He is the nicest dog unless he is in his back yard. When my dogs or kids are outside he will stand at the fence- a cyclone fence. He doesn't bark when he hears them.. only when he sees them and then he goes into attack mode.. Snarling growling.. even biting at the fence. It is to the point now that the kids are afraid to go on that side on the house. The fence borders our driveway so avoidance is not an option.

I need something that will block his line of site from us but here are my special circumstances.

- I only have about 1.5 foot wide area to plant... between the fence and the driveway. My driveway is narrow enough as it is so I can't have anything that will grow over into the driveway.

- Cost is a MAJOR issue. I really can not invest more than $100 in this project- we are strapped due to interior remodeling

-The neighbors dog and one of mine are both large breed male dogs... whatever I plant will get pee'd on from both sides.

-This area gets a few hours of morning sun (borders my property on the west) and then is in complete shade for the rest of the day.

- They "own" the fence. Last year I tried clementius, but they cut it down when we were out of town.. they "claimed" they thought it was a weed

- They have a mulberry bush that sometimes grows through the fence- what ever I plant needs to be hardier than that bush. (Now if they would leave the bush alone.. it blocks his view but they keep trimming it.) We have asked them not to but they "forget". I also need it to be different enough from the bush to keep them from "accidently" cutting it back.

-I have BLACK thumb... whatever we plant needs to grow well in our area even for gardening dummies. I also suffer from severe summer allergies and tend to hide in the AC a lot during the summer. I need to have something that won't require a lot of pruning during the summer. (lol I know- what you are all thinking- put up a privacy fence right? but there is the cost issue again)

They are not bad people... just a little wierd when it comes to the dog (childless couple who treat the dog like it is a baby) and saying anything to them about their annoying dog would be like telling someone their kid is a brat. I have tried to hint diplomatically about it but they brush it off saying "oh he loves watching you." Which is why they keep trimming the mulberry back & I think why they cut down the vines- to give him a better view. I also live in somewhat of a glass house- I have no right to throw stones, complaining to officials about the dog would invite trouble (2 kids two dogs.. my yard is not a candidate for Better Homes & Gardens if you get my drift).

I live in Zone 5 (right off Lake Michigan on the IL/WI border. I read several suggestions on sunflowers, but I don't think that it would be right solution for this area.

I do LOVE lilacs... any opinion on planting those? how quickly will they grow to fill in the area. I only need it to be 4 ft high- but dense enough for him not to get a clear view.

For those of you who have stuck with me throug the long posting- thanks & I look forward to hearing your advice.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!