SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcmojoe

Finally did it... bought my first Hosta's

kcmojoe
16 years ago

Ladie and Gentlemen,

Its official. I'm in the "club" now. I just bought my first 5 Hostas. They were on sale and I got them for 3 bucks apeice. (obviously they are small). I bought SAGAE, BLUE MAMMOTH, CAPTAIN KIRK, FRANCIS WILLIAMS, and the last one I forgot to get the dang tag. I spent 3 hours in miserable midwest August heat with my two toddlers and wife looking at three different nurseries and there all similar collections of HOSTAS and AZEALAS. I came home with the Hostas and two sets of Pink and Green Elephant Ears (my wife loved them). I will try and get a picture of the unnamed hosta later and you all may be able to ID it for me.

I am posting this for the following reasons:

1 ) so you can celebrate the beginning of my addiction and,

2 ) To get advice on planting the hostas. When they say spacing 20" do they mean from plant center to plant center, or are they referring to the projected edge of the plant once it is full grown. I have about a 12 foot long flower bed I would like to line with all 5 hostas, but want to make sure I am not overcrowding. Also any other suggestions before I put them in the ground? It is a mix of Clay (the wonderful midwest version) and some Great compost I bought from my local recycling center for $15 a truckload.

Thanks in advance

Comments (29)