SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Moving Photo Threads to Gallery? Att: pixie_lou

A suggestion was made on the RE: How to include photos in a post (revised) that we ask GW for a Gallery to serve as a storage place for photos and long photo threads. I started the ball rolling, but there are issues that need to addressed by forum members, in particular, members, like pixie_lou, who initiate some of these threads.

STATUS SO FAR

......................................................................................................................

STEP 1 - I emailed Garden Web ......................................................................................................................

Very good suggestion DtD and Steve - I just sent an email to GW about a possible Gallery.

"On the New England Gardening Forum, we have several recurring threads heavy with photos. Some of these have been posted regularly for years now, and we like to refer back to previous threads.

It's getting more and more difficult to handle the reference links, and the earlier threads are getting perilously close to sliding off GardenWeb into oblivion. Is there some way we can post these earlier threads on a separate site (like a Gallery) so the photos and discussions are easily available even when they're a few years old? (the suggestion was initially made by steve_mass on a current thread).

Two of the ongoing threads are:

Show us your gardens - a photo thread - April 2012

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg0321532125456.html?6

posted by pixie_lou

and:

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #2

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg021001279615.html?15

posted by claire

There will probably be other photo threads in the future that we would like to save as well.

I'm the editor of the New England Gardening FAQ and I can add text posts to the FAQ, but not the many photos. I would be happy to serve as a Gallery editor if need be.

Thanks,

Claire"

.....................................................................................................................

STEP 2 - Tamara set up a Gallery on the New England Forum (see top of page) and transferred pixie_lou's April 2012 Show us Your Garden Photo Thread to the Gallery

......................................................................................................................

Claire,

There are a couple of options, I think. I've created a Gallery side to the forum -- which is essentially why we have the option of a Gallery. I moved one of the posts over there -- http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/gal0321532125456.html?6

If there are posts that you worry are in jeopardy of being lost, send me a list and I'll be happy to move them over.

Also, there is always the option of loading photo into the Garden Galleries -- http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/ -- and then linking to them from the post. It can work similarly to Photo Bucket.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Tamara

....................................................................................................................

STEP 3 - There are issues with this solution, which I list in my reply to Tamara. One issue is that pixie_lou is out of the loop. Another issue is that people won't look in the Gallery for a current thread. Internal links are a problem too.

Tamara:

A problem here is that you removed the thread from Discussions and people won't go to the Gallery to find a current thread. The thread will simply be overlooked. We need the current April 2012 photo thread to stay on Discussions, but the past threads (March, February, etc.) to go to the Gallery as an archive.

People log on and scan the Discussions page for interesting threads, and post if it's convenient. Most will not switch to the Gallery unless they're looking for something for information or to link to.

Also, another big problem - I just tried to click on the links in the April 2012 photo thread and none of them work, so we've lost all of the previous threads.

I wanted to give you those previous links to move to the Gallery. I found the December 2011 thread on the Discussions side http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg112301088135.html

This thread lists all of the previous threads.

It looks like we have to transfer all threads individually to the Gallery. Maybe we could do a once a year switch of all the threads from 2011, for example. We need to get pixie_lou involved here - these are her threads and she has to agree.

I'm going to start a new thread on Discussions concerning this.

Claire

What do people think? My gut feeling is that the current photo thread must stay on the Discussions side, but all of the previous threads should be transferred at one time (once a year?) to the Gallery.

Claire

Comments (20)