SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reg_pnw7

It's Spring, so time to ...

reg_pnw7
14 years ago

It's Spring, at least in my neighborhood. A good three weeks early, but I'm not arguing with nature. The forsythias are blooming, along with the early flowering apricots, and the plums not far behind. Crocus, galanthus, early narcissus all blooming. The Indian plums are in full bloom, and I saw skunk cabbage coming up some weeks ago. The flickers are drumming, the squirrels are mating, the grass is coming up. Time to get to work.

Here's what I plan on working on this weekend:

Prune the roses. I know it's three weeks early for Olympia, but my neighborhood forsythia are blooming, so I'm getting to it.

Prepare the veggie garden, which the new dog has trompled into a muddy mess. Then fence her out so I can still get in. What a bulldozer this dog has turned out to be! Six years old but she's never had a yard before, so she's tearing around like a puppy, and at 60 pounds with extra-long toenails (I don't think anyone's trimmed her nails before either) she's quite a destructive force.

Start peas and lettuce. I normally don't start peas until March, as February is just too cold in Olympia, but this year it's already warm enough, even with light frosts the past three nights.

Mow the lawn, and patch it with clumps of grass dug out from a prairie restoration project. The lawn has been thoroughly shredded by the new dog running around on it. I'll have to protect the new patches of grass from her too.

Scrub out the bird baths, and put up the hummingbird feeder. With the Indian plum blooming, the rufous hummers can't be far behind. There's one bird bath in particular that seems to be supporting a permanent population of roundworms. I dump it out periodically, but they seem to be persisting in the algae growing on the bottom. Has anyone else seen this before?

Rake up the doug fir cones and twigs carpeting the yard from the winter storms. I mulch the rhodies with them.

Spread compost and chicken manure around the shrubs and perennials and berries.

In the afternoon when it's warmest I might move the houseplants outside to hose off the dust that's accumulated on them over the winter. then again, I normally don't do that til May, so I may not get to it what with everything else that needs doing.

Happy happy spring!

Comments (18)