Vine with Orange pod /red seeds...

lpokas

My 80 year old father lives in Mulberry, Florida (btwn Tampa and Orland), was on a golf course last week and when he went in the brush to pick up a ball he found this orange seed pod or fruit growing on a vine on the ground. Many had already opened up and it looked as if the birds had eaten the seeds. He took one home and put it on the counter and it opened by itself to reveal red juicy seeds.

We have been searching the internet for him trying to identify this plant. Can anyone help? I have a picture but have not figured a way to post it here.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

It sounds like Balsam Pear vine. Check the link below for pictures and information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Balsam Pear

1 Like Save    
razorback33(z7)

Have you looked at the Coral honeysuckle vine?
It has Orange red berries, don't know about the seed.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera sempervirens

Save    
lpokas

Balsam Pear Vine is exactly what it is. My dad's picture is almost identifcal to the one you reference.

Mystery solved -- thank you!!!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Save    
duenoeilleen

Is this fruit?

I am am looking for few seeds of this vine.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

"Invasive and indestructible."- Are you sure you want to plant this one?

Save    
duenoeilleen

It is not invasive; regardless we have the way to keep it under control. I understand that it atract birds.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I was just quoting Dave's Gardens. I read the reviews on Dave's Garden and I hope you are not in Florida because EVERY (and I mean every) review from Florida was a negative. I do not know this plant but anytime they say that a vine is a"ggressive AND in destructible" and seeds are favored by birds , I start fearing for all the land that this birds are going to poop on after leaving your yard.. It is not only your land that you need to be concerned for.

Thomas Jeferson grew them at monticello, but there it would be an annual and maybe more chancy in its germination.

It is from Africa so it is NOT a native.

1 Like Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Is it perhaps Momorida charantia rather than M. balsamica? BONAP shows M. charantia with a wider distribution in Florida. Both are non-native.

Save    
Jan Wanczyk

Are u still looking for seeds?

Save    
monicaalter6221957

slices comes almost two years later three years later but my comment is I'm from Miami Florida after Andrew this stuff got on me underneath my arm and created a fungus in my skin and I still have it to this year cuz I just found out it's a fungus and no it's not native to America it's just like Kudzu it got introduced and it's a pest

Save    
sonni1(9b/10a)

I don't know much about this plant, but I've seen a few on my lot in Florida. I pull them out.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening 101 Budget Gardener: 8 Easy Container Plants to Grow From Seed
Get beautiful bargain blooms and herbs in summer by starting these choice garden picks from seed in spring
Full Story
Vines Great Design Plant: Pink Trumpet Vine Heralds Vibrant Color
Announce your landscape beautification efforts with this flowering vine that perks up hot, dry gardens
Full Story
California Native Plants Great Design Plant: Vine Maple
Exciting year-round color and adaptability make this highly ornamental native small tree a top choice for home gardens
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Pristine Acres is committed to offering the highest-quality, most professional landscape design/installation... Read More