SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

Arbutus 'Marina' & more for circular driveway garden

oliveoyl3
10 years ago

Do you think a good place to plant a 'Marina' is here at the far side of the circular driveway garden that faces southwest in native soil? If it would fair better I could add it to the landscape on the right side of the house in full summer sun with no summer water, but was planning a Japanese cedar 'Sekkan Sugi' for that spot.

From Drop Box

The actual spot depends on where we can actually dig a hole since conifer tree roots will not be dug out. The final trees came down last weekend, so after the new stumps are cut lower we can plant. My husband is eager to find a permanent home for this tree since he admires the peeling bark of Madrone in the San Juans.

What about adding 2 more slow growing trees on the lower sides for an irregular triangle?

I have a few different tree choices on hand in pots listed with current size & possible mature sizes in 25+ years that are also deer resistant.

3' white flowering Chinese dogwood 30 x 25
2' Oxydendrum arboreum, sourwood, 25' x 15' 9
2 - 3' upright Japanese maple seedlings, 20 x 15
3' Stewartia monodelphia, orangebark stewartia, eventually 30' x 15'
2' Mountain hemlock, 20' x 8 in landscape plantings

A large rotting stump on the left lower side has a 14" hole to contain a unique planting at eye level. There is also a rotting log that had fallen sometime ago in the middle crosswise that we're leaving.

We had cleaned it up after penning goats around it in November. It was so overgrown you couldn't see the house nor anything else just around the corner. The native evergreen salal, red huckleberry, evergreen sword fern, and evergreen low growing strawberry will remain as long as not crowding the slow growing trees. The area slopes downward and inward for a lower area in the middle and on the near side just below the green cable box. That spot would be the wettest location and the strawberries do well there.

I could add some dwarf conifers to the bed if that would be better than the 3 trees idea, but I really favored using 3 ornamental trees & keeping the natives as groundcovers. I know the salal will come back fuller now that the goats helped me trim it lower and the huckleberries will leaf out full as well.

Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County