Eradicating English Ivy (surreptitiously)
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
in a yard with invasive English ivy, etc, can natives survive?
Comments (4)Hi, I don't think many plants compete well with the ivy. Someone here can probably comment more on that. The plants you've chosen have a rather large variety of growing requirements... V. bluebells generally take a rich woodsy soil with a fair amount of shade. V. creeper is a ground cover that I don't think will do well in pots. Elderberries get very big, sucker and like quite a bit of water and at least part sun. Green coneflowers get very big. I have huge clumps of them growing by the creek. I am not positive of their growing requirements, but they are growing wild in my yard in part sun and above average moisture. Great blue lobelia requires at least part sun and above average moisture. That might do OK in a pot. Some types of milkweed have a large taproot, so I'm not sure they will do well in pots. I'm not sure if they all have taproots, though. Blue wood aster may do OK in pots. Most types of JPW get very large. They like above average water and at least part sun, preferably full. While I think there are many natives that would do well in pots, I am not sure all those you have in mind would work well. I hope I'm not discouraging you from trying natives in pots. You may want to do a little more research on what you chose to try. Hopefully others here can offer their thoughts. I'm by no means an expert. As far as IDs, the only one I know from your pics is the one in the pink pot--a hosta. Blue Ridge Mountain Girl...See MoreEradication of English Ivy
Comments (19)I have a byard with over ten years of overgrowth, no maintenance, basically a jungle that is the top bank of a riparian cooridor. The ivy that was planted twenty years ago at our townhouse complex has broken loose and infested the entire byard, and creeping into the riparian area. I can't control my neighbors area, so I have taken control of my area personally by weeding out the ivy manually by hand. Then I got some wood chips for free from local tree company and spread about 3inches thick across the cleared area. I am planning to leave as-is for a while to see if the ivy cannot grow back up thru the wooodchips. We'll see what happens....See MoreHow to encourage english ivy to grow in neighbors yard?
Comments (16)"It's a political statement and I'm not a troll." Per GardenWeb's TOS, political statements are not to be posted in this type of forum. And, IMO posting this type of "political statement" here is exactly what would make a troll a troll!...See MoreKilling root system of english ivy
Comments (49)I started trying to remove a 12x4foot patch of ivy about 10 months ago in the fall. I did not want to use chemicals, so I died digging it up. This spring, bed was full of tender ivy shoots. I took a week off of work and spent every day working section by section turning the soil with a shovel, then sitting in the dirt painstakingly sifting through the dirt pulling out all of the roots that I could find. The bed is currently has an ample supply of weeds, and minimal regrowth of ivy. In the fall I will probably repeat my grid eradication method. I should be able to complete it in a long weekend this time around. I agree with other posters that say this stuff should be illegal to plant/sell. It would not surprise me if I found the hand of Satan grasping a root as I try to pull it out. I have a negative physical reaction when I see this stuff for sale at the garden center. There should be a waiting period and required counselling before anyone can buy this stuff. Oh, P.S. I tried 30% vinegar /dish soap/table salt on a second, smaller patch. This killed the above ground plant in a day, but the ivy appears to have been emboldened by my effort, and returned with a vengeance. No substitute for elbow grease if you want to eradicate this stuff without using damaging chemicals....See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
Related Stories

GROUND COVERSNative Alternatives to English Ivy, Japanese Pachysandra and Periwinkle
These shade-loving ground covers are good for the environment and say something about where you are
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHow to Use Pachysandra Responsibly in the Landscape
It's tops at covering lots of ground quickly, but be sure this low evergreen plant doesn't spread where it shouldn't
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGBuilding Green: How to Design a Healthier Landscape
Plant selection, water management, fire-prevention measures and more can ensure that your landscape is good for the planet and for you
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESDo You Have This Invasive Plant in Your Yard?
Garlic mustard is spreading across the U.S. Here’s how to spot it and what to do
Full Story
SPRING GARDENING7 Great Container Plants for Early-Spring Appeal
Good things sometimes come to those who impatiently head to the nursery for plants that can take a chill
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGN7 Low-Maintenance Lawn Alternatives
Turf isn't the only ground cover in town. Get a lush no-grass lawn with clover, moss and other easy-care plants
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNThe 7 Best Plant Types for Creating Privacy and How to Use Them
Follow these tips for using different kinds of plants as living privacy screens
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNSee 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Vines
Vines can grow over slopes, trail off pergolas and add seasonal color to the garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Tips for Beginning Gardeners
With a simple sketch, basic tools and the right plants, you’ll be on your way to growing your first flowers or edibles
Full Story
PINK FLOWERSGreat Design Plant: Pink Trumpet Vine Heralds Vibrant Color
Announce your landscape beautification efforts with this flowering vine that perks up hot, dry gardens
Full StoryMore Discussions
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)