SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigect

erosion control/sunny dry slope

paigect
12 years ago

Hi all, I have taken a break from the boards for a year or two as I was injured and not gardening as much as usual, but I am back at it! I would truly appreciate some help with plant selection for a project.

We have a new house in Collinsville, which I am not moving into full time for a year or two. The front yard basically slopes down gently about 30 feet from the front porch and then drops off steeply to the street. The resulting steep slope runs most of the length of the front yard, parallel to the front of the house, about 40 feet long, and I would say it is about a 45 degree angle (unscientifically). There is no retaining wall, but there are cement steps leading up the middle of the slope.

Ideally, we would put in a terraced garden, but we don't have the time, money, or strength for that (really, we don't). So my plan is to try to plant the slope with some hardy, sun loving, drought tolerant plants/shrubs. I have never gardened under these conditions, so I would truly appreciate your specific plant suggestions based on experience.

The house is a small, 1840 farmouse, white, with a partial front porch. There are several old red barns in the very near vicinity, just to give you an idea of the setting. I would prefer a slightly cottagey look to a totally naturalized look, since this is essentially the front yard and it's a farm house.

I would also like to do a shrub border right along the top of the slope, which would run parallel to the front of the house, to help prevent further erosion off the edge of the slope. I was thinking fothergilla and smaller viburnum. Other ideas welcome. Again, it is full sun. There is already a row of yew which will serve as a background along the part of the house without the porch, so I don't feel it's necessary to add evergreens to the shrub border.

For planting the slope itself, I would really appreciate suggestions re: plants that can tolerate dry, sunny conditions, and that have deep roots to hold up the soil some. From my own garden I was thinking of bringing siberian iris, lady's mantle, and caryopteris. I'm not sure about others, like phlox subulata, various salvias, or maybe bearded iris? I would also be interested in small shrubs for the slope, both evergreen and deciduous (although I am not a juniper fan), but I'm really unsure what I can get away with here.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated. And I look forward to seeing some of you at the CT plant swap.

-Paige

Comments (9)