SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwesternerr

Formal Lawn Priviledge

midwesternerr
15 years ago

I have to get something off my chest that really bothers me, formal lawn priviledge. A person with a formal lawn never has to worry about neighbors pointing and gossiping, or having the municipality put a "negligence" notice in his or her yard. This in inspite of the fact that half of all lawn owners put toxic chemicals into all of our soils, waters, and (yes, it eventually ends up) in all of our bodies. Apparently, this is a small crime in comparison to a person growing wildflowers, which has somehow become "weeds". The unmarked assumptoin is that a yard will be maintained as a formal lawn, and anyone who dares break this nazi-like conformity is suspect. In many cases, "special permission" is needed from some kind if governing body, who probably have no specialized training in botany or ecology, in order to put back the plants that grew on the very site in the first place! Yet if one wishes to knock down a thicket of hazelnut shrubs and replant with lawn grass, he needs no permit or impact study in order to do so!

This isn't surprising though, given we live in a country that not so long ago passed the "Indian removal act" which killed thousands of Native Americans and left them to lie dead on the trail of tears. You see the rich, white people running America are idealized by the middle class who hope to boost their own self-esteems by trying to imagine a way they are associated with these mega-rich folks. Therefore, when they see the rich and powerful irrigating lawns in Arizona, they want to show they are similar. How can they be similar? By creating neighborhoods free of "weeds" and black people they can present a powerful presence that makes their neighborhoods seem "upper class", heck the only thing they need now is 4 cars per person, a person of color as a servant, and a house with another 10,000 square feet and they'd fit right in! What I have come to believe is in a strange twist of fate, the ultra-rich have noticed this similarity and now want to differentiate from the middle class. In my area, many mega-rich have actually converted their properties to a more naturalistic design as of late. How long will it be before this trickles down into the middle class and they start demanding everyone plant hedges and prairie gardens I can only wonder.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer