small white 5 petal flowers with pink buds

jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

I have searched for this plant everywhere. I live in the Ozarks in a wooded hollow. The leaves of this plant are opposite and linear with squared ends. The stem is fleshy. The buds are purplish/pinkish. The flowers are white with 5 petals. The buds are in clusters at the point where the leaf and stem meet. The cluster type is Cyme. I have pictures I can submit. Please help.

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

Here is a link to a picture of this plant I am trying to identify

Here is a link that might be useful:

Save    
Iris GW

Can you post bigger pictures? Photobucket should let you upload good sized ones.

Save    
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

Jill, a larger picture would help alot. Also, what time of year does the plant bloom? Perhaps Spring Beautry (Claytonia virginica) or False Rue Anemone (Isopyrum biternatum). Check Missouriplants.com. RW

Save    
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

Okay, here are pictures that are closeups. They're not as crisp but...the plant blooms in the early Spring. I use Missouriplants.com constantly. It is not Claytonia virginica or Isopyrum biternatum. Note the leaves on my plant. Another forum came back with Ozark Corn Salad (Valerianella ozarkana) after bolting. As my farm is part of an Ozark Mountain glade complex in SW Missouri, this is probably correct. This plant is on the Imperiled Species list so I need to make sure if possible.

Here are 2 links

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/jillmcl/XWhiteveryclose.jpg

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/jillmcl/XWhiteclose.jpg

Thanks again for all your help. Jill

Save    
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

I tried keying it out in Steyermark but ran into a brick wall for lack of specific information. I sent the link off to a guy I know at MDC who stands a good chance of making an ID from the picture. RW

Save    
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

Thanks, RW.

Save    
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

He agreed with what was said on the other forum that the plant is in the genus Valerianella but couldn't say for sure that the species is ozarkana. He commented that it is indeed a species of concern found primarily in Barry, Stone and McDonald cos. Perhaps next spring you could get some better photos and be able to id it for sure. That would be fun. I wish I had a glade on my place. There are many MO natives that are unique to glades so they are special places. Good luck with documenting the plants on your glade. RW

Save    
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

RW, Thanks for you help. I will be very vigilant next Spring to document this little jewel better. As our property is at the extreme SW corner of Christian Co., Stone Co. is but a stone's throw. Our RR address is actually in Stone Co! Again, thanks for your help. Jill

Save    
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

RW, I received an email from you with info on who to contact at MDC MO. I replied but my mail was returned with a user unkown message. I appreciate your help and will contact MU with pictures and glade descriptions. Again, thanks for all your help. Jill

Save    
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

Sorry Jill. I'm afraid it was probably an old email address. I have updated it and it is accurate now but the update probably didn't catch up with my email to you. I'm glad to know you received the mail. Keep us updated on your glade. It will be fun to hear about the species you find especially this coming spring. RW

Save    
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

RW, The botanist emailed me back and confirmed this is an endangered Ozark Corn Salad (Valerianella ozarkana) that was last noted in our county in 1957! She will come to survey our Glade remnant in the Spring for this and any other rare plants that she feels are probably here. I'll keep you posted. Jill

Save    
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

Woo Hoo! I was hoping she would be willing to do that. Let me know what you think of her. I hadn't heard of her so think she may be new. Sorry for the slow response, I somethimes go for days without turning on the computer. RW

Save    
jillmcl(6 Ozarks)

She is new and came down yesterday to survey a little. Had a great time with her. She's very nice, knowledgeable, and dedicated. We seem to have quite a few native woodlands and native prairie plants in our neck of the woods. She will come back in the Spring to see the blooms. I am so glad I posted on the Garden Forum and found you who led me to her!
Jill

Save    
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

Jill, I'm so glad that Malissa came out to help you. I became interested in Missouri natives in 1986. I was an hourly employee for MDC and a forester (now retired) was pretty knowledgeable about native plants which peaked my interest. I bought a copy of Denison's "Missouri Wildflowers" and became absolutely addicted. In 1987 I moved here and was able to observe a lot of plants in their natural setting. We have 40 acres in some pretty rugged Ozark deep draws and dry ridges. It's oak/hickory forests and is extremely rocky (car size boulders). I started growing natives and learning about seed collecting, etc. Over the years, we've noticed that our dry ridge with its accompanying draws has become more lush, the soil is better and the increase in species of birds is amazing. Along the way, I've had a lot of support from professionals at MDC. For the most part, these people are doing what they love and are dedicated to the resource. This forum is a great source of knowledge for natives. Somebody here knows the answer to about any question you might have. Keep in touch about your place and have fun!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 5 Sweet to Spirited Pink Roses for an Enchanting Garden
Whether you go demure or daring, there's a pink rose here to make you flush with garden pride
Full Story
Gardening Guides 5 Favorite White Roses for a Purely Beautiful Garden
How does your garden glow? With roses that look like light and smell divine
Full Story
Gardening Guides Sweeten a Summer Garden With Pink Flowers
Whether you stir in hot pinks or sprinkle in some pastels, pink blooms can make your garden deliciously pretty
Full Story