SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncrescue

Native Plant Permits Needed?

Lynda Waldrep
11 years ago

I have been aware since this past spring that private gardeners need to apply for permits to share plants listed by our state Plant Conservation Program as endangered, threatened, or of special concern.

This means that if I have these plants that I have legally acquired and want to share, through propagation or division, with another private gardener, I cannot do so without a permit issued by the state..and this is not such an easy task. (Not selling; no money involved; just sharing.)

There are currently 419 plants on this list, only about 50 garden worthy, but half of those are readily available in the trade, such as Andiantum capillus-veneris, Baptisia alba, Camassia scilloides, Primula meadia, Echinacea purpurea, Jeffersonia diphylla, Pachysandra procumbens...and more!

Question: What regulations exist in other states that prohibit private gardeners in this manner?

I am 100% behind preservation efforts in which the government or a private land trust holds property where such rare plants grow, and I am also 100% against wild collecting, selling, etc., without permission or permits, even from the side of the road.

Please respond off list if you can send me your states' regulations regarding sharing of certain native plants.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!