Goldenseal seed ?

agkistrodon(6/7)

Just wondering if anyone has any insight...I collect seed from a friend's goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) every year. They are usually inside beautiful red berries and I remove the pulp and sow them. This yr, however, I found no berries....just seeds in blackened what looks like leaf matter sitting on top of the leaves. What happened? Did something eat the berries and leave the seeds behind? If so, what? Apart from the berries being absent the plants themselves are gorgeous this year because of all the rain...so I don't think there's a disease attacking them or anything like that. Thanks for any ideas!

This post was edited by adidas on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 18:00

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agkistrodon(6/7)

Haven't found an answer but I hate unanswered posts...so I'm letting this post drop from the top.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Actaea Racemosa
Elegant flowers top black cohosh in summer woodland gardens
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Foamflower Cushions Shady Garden Areas
Try evergreen ground cover Tiarella cordifolia for a soft look all year — one the rabbits and deer won’t mess with
Full Story
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes is a remodeling company, focusing on complete kitchen, bathroom, basement &... Read More
The best professional advice in Northern Virginia, charging affordable hourly rates, showing you how to turn your... Read More