SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trillyfilly

Groundcover for Slope in Full Sun

trillyfilly
12 years ago

I posted this on New to Gardening but haven't received any responses yet and this forum seems a little more active. My boyfriend and I bought our first house about 2 years ago. I've been working on the flower beds and am now ready to tackle my next project. Off to the side of the front of our house is a small slope which is hideously covered in a thorny mess of something, overgrown grass, rocks, and so forth. It is about 35' long by 8' wide. This year I am planning to get rid of all the unwanteds and put a nice groundcover down instead. I am looking for something with the following criteria:

1. Perennial in Zone 5 (New USDA map says that I am actually 6a now)

2. Must take full sun (there is almost no shade available here)

3. Moderate to fast growth

4. I would prefer something that was evergreen and am interested in something that has a nice fall tinge to it.

5. Minimal maintenance.

Here is what I am looking at:

1. Purple wintercreeper : I like the quickness that it covers areas but am concerned that the purple/red will be far too bright in the fall and winter. I was thinking of putting some conifers interspersed but am not sure if the wintercreeper is too aggressive even for ths.

2. Ceratostigma plumbaginnoides/leadwort : I love the fall color on these and the blue seems muted enough. I've heard mixed reviews about whether this is actually hardy in my area. It is listed to 6a on most sites.

3. Vinca Minor : I like that it is evergreen, however, again hardiness is a concern.

I've also looked into various types of Ivy but do want something a little more interesting. Also, a monster of a plant is not a problem here. It is not connected to other flower beds. It will border the lawn but we can easily maintain that or put up a small border for containment.

Thank you!!

Comments (12)