SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidsnyc

Identification of (native?) found on Long Beach Island?

orchidsnyc
18 years ago

I realize this is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me ID a plant a saw growing in a backyard on Long Beach Island last weekend.

At this point, it was just a flower stalk. Since I saw no signs of foliage at all, I'm kind of assuming it will grow later in the season after the seed pods have fully matured. The inflorescence was about 6-7" high and just to make things even more difficult, I didn't see any open flowers - just seed pods in various states of maturity. Those were greenish-white, somewhat lantern-shaped and contained 4-5 round black seeds, about 1/16th inch in diameter. The seeds were visible through the more mature pods. It looked like they started out fairly fleshy green and matured to white, then became almost tissue thin and tan as they dried out. They were attached directly to the inflorescence by very short pedicels, with no branching. The inflorescense was about 3/16" in diameter. They were growing in semi-shade, and didn't seem to have spread widely.

I really have no idea if these are a native or not, but since they were growing in a pretty random spot under the branches of nearby bushes and small trees, I doubt they were intentionally planted there and I didn't seem them anywhere else in the yard (though they might have been in neighboring yards.)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH