SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almeria_gw

Perennial/annual problems in hot climates

Almeria
18 years ago

Hello, I am still pretty new to gardening and I have 2 very basic questions that I am a bit embarrassed to ask.

In our hot climate there are very few plants that don´t happily survive the winter and they do this with no special treatment (mulching or frost blankets etc). So does that mean that some things which are annuals in other places are perennials here and should be treated as such?

My other question is how to deal with my plants over winter in order to get the best from them next spring or summer. Should I cut them down a few inches from the ground? I have done this to a few plants sometimes with good results and sometimes it has killed them. Do all plants like this treatment? When is the best time to do this? I think it is "after flowering" but here things usually flower in spring and early summer, stop flowering when it gets too hot and then start again with a sort of "second spring" in early autumn. I think I am probably doing something wrong because a lot of my plants seem to sort of die off and go brown from the bottom while still having green leaves and flowers at the end of the brown and woody stems. Or have I just not been watering them enough?!

Any suggestions gratefully received from you experts. I think I will post this question to the perennial forum, too.

Many thanks and happy gardening

Almeria

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions