ID this forest plant

PaulaZ

This was growing near stream in shade at Linn Run State Park. Never saw anything like it

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agkistrodon(6/7)

I'm probably completely off the mark but could it be squaw root (Conopholis americana) ? I've never actually seen it growing though so sorry for shot in dark :)

Here is a link that might be useful: squaw root

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Looks like pine drops, beech drops, or one of those chlorophyl-free plants, but then again, not quite. Hmmm?

+oM

Save    
lycopus(z5 NY)

First response was correct, Conopholis americana.

Save    
PaulaZ

Thank you all.... Squaw Root it is and at my age I am STILL learning!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Little Bluestem Goes Above and Beyond
It thrives in poor soil and provides food and shelter for wildlife. Plus, Schizachyrium scoparium is just a darn pretty native grass
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Woodland Garden Beauty Polystichum Acrostichoides
Eastern U.S. native Christmas fern is a living decoration in the winter woodland garden
Full Story
Houseplants Get a Dash of the Rain Forest With Madagascar Dragon Tree
This living decoration reaches up to 15 feet, has minimal needs and adapts to different light levels — just steer clear of fluoride
Full Story
We are a Design-Build Firm. We can help you achieve your dream home using your budget with care and craftsmanship. Read More
Craftsman Construction is a luxury custom home builder and remodeler. Our company focuses on luxury residential... Read More