SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Pulled bittersweet--what to do next?

Liz
11 years ago

I I have a small woodsy bed beside my driveway. I estimate it to be about 50' x 100', oval. I spent the last couple of weeks trying to control the European bittersweet, which had gotten to immense proportions. I cut the stems and treated the cut stumps with Roundup. I then removed as much as I could of the ground level vines. The stems were seriously 2 to 3 inches in diameter. I'm sure there will be some resprouting and seedlings coming up, but I will try to stay on top of it going forward.

My question is what to do next with the bed. It is pretty empty at this point. There are still a few non-native things to come out, especially European buckthorn. There are a couple of quite deformed cherry trees (also non-native.) There are a couple of hollies, probably American, about 10 feet tall. The largest trees are two big locusts and a beautiful tulip tree. Still, there is a lot of empty space.

Would it be a good idea to plant some trees at this point? I am afraid of regrowth from the bittersweet and I'm wondering if it might be best to leave it mostly empty for the time being, until I have the invasive species under better control.

I am also not sure what to plant. Oak is the climax forest around here, but it grows pretty slowly. I am 58, and I would like to see something more than a sapling in my lifetime! I also thought of River Birch and red Maple. I live in central New Jersey, and all of those plants are native here. Alternatively, I could just plant some smaller trees like alternate leave dogwood, amelanchier, or some shrubs such as viburnum

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (2)

Sponsored