Queen Anne's lace question

catherinet(5 IN)

I seem to have a lot of it lately.........and I just noticed that they all have a tiny dark purple flower in the middle. Why is that?
For awhile, I thought they had a bug in the middle, then realized it was impossible for all of them to have 1 bug in the middle of the blossom........and I looked closer.
Interesting. Any idea why? What purpose does it serve?
Thanks?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Hey Cath. Probably not what you want to hear, but the answer is, just because they do! That is, this plant's flowers often have exactly one purpleish flower in the middle of the umbel of white ones. Who knows what advantage this particular adaptation serves or served somewhere/sometime in the history of this species? Not I!

+oM

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I have a simple theory on that...basically the QA umbel is multiple flowers as evidenced by the way the seed forms.

I think the central purple flower helps to attract insects as it mimics a fertile area (stigma/stamens) in a simple flower. Somewhat like floral guide lines work....go here for food..etc.

In my lifetimes, I've never been a daucus carota, so I could be wrong on my theoretical assumption here. Anyone who feels they have been a carrot in a past life, feel free to speak up :)

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

The legend behind it says that while tatting lace, making the white part of the flower, the queen pricked her finger and the tiny dark flower in the middle is supposed to represent the drop of blood.

Skibby

Save    
TexasRanger10(7)

Ya'll do know this weedy plant is not a native don't ya? That purple flower on some is to let you know its European and not a native in the wild carrot family and that it should be pulled before it infests the whole meadow. I do feel fairly certain I was a Rattlesnake Master in a past life, which is an American native wild carrot. You can let that one grow.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Lovingly Resurrecting a Historic Queen Anne
Dedication and a keen eye turn a neglected eyesore into the jewel of its Atlanta neighborhood
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Period Details Shine in a Queen Anne Victorian
Chandeliers, fireplaces and prettily patterned wallpaper radiate elegance in a 19th-century Massachusetts home
Full Story
Architecture Roots of Style: Queen Anne Homes Present Regal Details
Complex facades with bay windows, multiple shingle patterns and even towers make these Victorian-era homes a sight to behold
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
At Iris Design Associates, our foremost goal is the creation of design that has the authentic sense of place and... Read More