cutting back spring bloomers

utzybuzzy(z7MD)

I live in zone 7 and my spring flowering native plants are huge even though they are producing no more flowers. Some plants are covering up summer plants. Should I cut back the spring plants?

Also what native plants should you deadhead to keep them flowering throughout the summer?

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edlincoln(6A)

What are the plants? Perennials, bulbs, or annuals?

They are trying to store energy to produce flowers next year. Perennials usually grow long after they bloom.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
utzybuzzy(z7MD)

They're all native spring blooming flowers. Now I'm realizing that most of my native plants are yellowing at the bottom and my native pestemon is half dead. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 10 Late-Winter and Early-Spring Bloomers for the West
Tired of waiting for spring to arrive? Try these drought-tolerant, flowering plants for color that starts in late winter
Full Story
Decorating Guides Spring Style: Fresh-Cut Flowers for Every Room
Graceful, lively or dramatic, fresh flowers make rooms of every shape, size and style that much lovelier
Full Story
Gardening Guides 7 Ecofriendly Gardening Ideas That Also Cut Chore Time
Spend less time weeding, less money watering and more moments just sitting back and enjoying your healthy garden
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More