SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javasmom

Replace with low-maintenance grass/flowers?

javasmom
15 years ago

I live in a small condo development in the mountains of Colorado where we do all of the maintenance of the garden areas ourselves. Part of the public area is a fairly large area that was originally (20 years ago) filled with some kind of grass.

Due to the age/availability of the current owners, keeping this area mowed has become a real problem, but the membership is too cheap to pay for any kind of professional lawn care. I would like to propose that we sow the area with some kind of low-maintenance native grass/wildflower mix. At the moment it is filled with some kind of clumpy grass that grows to about 12". There are a few "volunteers" of flax that seem to be doing quite well in one area.

Can anyone recommend something that wouldn't look too untidy during our growing season (late May - mid October), does well in an arid environment, and won't require too many mowings? I'm thinking something that would green up after the snow melts, has a few blooms during June-August, and could be mowed back a couple of times later in the season until it starts snowing again. Maybe flax, poppies and some kind of native grass -- any suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored