SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mackenzie_b

Low maintenance drought tolerant flowering plants for containers?

mackenzie_b
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new here... looking for suggestions.

I live in an apt complex. Between my porch and the start of the grassy areas there is 1 to 3 feet of plain dirt (depending on the side) They'll let us grow stuff as long as it's in containers.

I love city apt living(raised in NYC), but love to "pretend" I live in some country cottage, my apt & big screen porch are decorated to fuel this fantasy.

I would love flowering plants/shrubs lined up around the porch to get a cottage garden feel.

I've grown a lot of container herbs, tomatoes and such, which I still grow on the screen porch, but I don't want to grow edible things off the porch because I don't know what kind of things they'll be subjected to by residents or maintenance people. I've not grown many ornamentals other than some annuals, so I'm not sure what to pick.

My needs/preferences are:

- must be good for containers (fairly compact)

- low maintenance or easy southern natives

- good drought tolerance (no hose/sprinklers; just a big watering can I prefer not to have to haul out that often)

- can take the heat & humidity of FL summers.

- good for full sun to partial shade

- perennial flowers or flowering shrubs, or ones that re-seed themselves (some annuals are okay but I don't want to keep replacing everything every year)

- a mix of fall bloomers/spring bloomers, etc., so something is always going on throughout the year. I'm not picky about colors so long as it's colorful.

Long list of demands I guess, it sounds picky but I figure being picky will give me more chance of success and less fuss.

If anyone has any suggestions, particularly if you've gardened around the Tampa Bay area, that would be great.

Thanks so much~

Comments (7)