SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botanybabe

hostas 40% off

botanybabe
15 years ago

Seriously,

I have bought from New Hampshire Hostas several times and they have big, healthy, beautiful hostas. I have never lost one of their hostas. Right now they have about 250 cultivars for 40% off. No, I don't work for them, or get any kickbacks. But I am an enabler of other hosta-holics so I'm assuming some of you will get the same hosta "fix" I did when I ordered:

Key Lime Pie

Silver Threads and Golden Needles

Lakeside Coal Miner

all for a mere $32.00

Now I am trembling with anticipation.

Lainey

Here is a link that might be useful: New Hampshire Hostas

Comments (59)

• jel48
    15 years ago

I love it! I have room for minis too :-)

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

So ok, I just had to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all made me do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called and ordered just one more:'Jewel of the Nile'
    i know i had it at one time,but it must be one i lost over the winter,along with my 'Queen J.' which i also loved.

Now, i am done for the year.

Carol

• Related Discussions

Still time to plant in your zone? Plants 40% off w/free shipping!

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm still holding out for the local Agway to go over 75% off. They just went 30 this week. I'm optimistic this year because the weather hasn't changed yet, so (my logic says) that people wouldn't have planted bulbs in this warm weather. And...people will be too busy next weekend thinking about TG and B-Friday shopping that they won't even consider buying bulbs...course, then they'll look at the calendar after the weekend and say "Oh, it's too late now, anyway" which means they're all mine!!! MUHAHAHHAHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    ...See More

Hallson's Hosta Sale

Q

Comments (14)
    While you are shopping the sale, check out Flamenco Mouse on the regular list (not on sale). This is a sport of Blue Mouse Ears that Chris Wilson discovered and named, and it's probably my favorite of the Mouse hostas. It's distinctively wavy leaves and striped flowers are very attractive, but what I like most about it is that it grows well, which is not usually the case with the Mouse hostas. If you like the Mice, check it out.
    ...See More

40% off Sherwin Williams Paint

Q

Comments (0)
    Through Sept 24- Sherwin Williams Paint and Stains are 40% off. (Painting Supplies are 30% off). Hope you can use it
    ...See More

Sale 40% off Sherwin Williams paint

Q

Comments (3)
    You can always purchase Sherwin Williams paint without the tint added. When you decide the color, just take it back to the store and they will mix it with no extra cost. I've done this many times to take advantage of the sales.
    ...See More
  • talynnp
    15 years ago

"That is not to many is it??????????"
    Carol

rotflmbo........Carol you are killing me!!!!!!!

Your user name says it all!!!

And, I might add, I wish I had not seen the 40% off sale thread, I'm so tempted to get "just1morehosta." ;-)

Tanya

• dak11801
    15 years ago

Well, I ordered also. And yes, I was among the group that thought they were done for the year. I picked out 7 hosta, but convinced myself I really have no clue where I am going to put so many, but 4 I just couldn't say no to:

Cameo
    Ghost Spirit
    Jewel of the Nile

I ended up speaking with Richard also (due to a glitch in their website with American Express purchases). He seemed like quite nice guy.

Susan

• applebrowndebbie
    15 years ago

Thanks Lainey for the tip. I too am trembling with anticipation. I ordered Fried Bananas,Kiwi Jordan,Maui Buttercup,Silver Thread and Golden Needle, Fantabulus, and Hanky Panky. Can hardly wait!
    Debbie

• olgaflowers
    15 years ago

I even got in on the sale !!
    and I'm way over here near Dallas Tx
    The few that I have are holding their own.
    Olga :)

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well now, wasn't that fun?

I don't know what Journey's End looks like. I guess it's a trip to the Hosta Library for me. Then I'll probably wish I had bought it.

Lainey

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Lainey,

Ohhhhhhhhhh,you'll want it!Better order it--NOW!

• sassy7142
    15 years ago

I just placed an order too.

I had just ordered from Hallson's the other day and my hubby asked me where am I going to put these.
    Silly question! I HAVE NO IDEA, (but I'll find a place somewhere). LOL

Here is what I ordered:

Dick Ward (thanks to Janice)
    Montana Aureo-Marginata
    Powder Blue
    Jewel of the Nile
    Zippity Do Dah
    Olive Branch

• hostanana
    15 years ago

Thanks to all the hosta "enablers" out there. I was making my list -
    Cutting Edge,
    Fantabulous,
    Hadspen Heron,
    Lakeside Hoola Hoop,
    Limey Lisa,
    Paradise Power,
    Rock Island Line,
    and Puck(I'm a Shakespeare fan)at 11pm last night!
    I've met Richard several times, and he is as nice as he sounds. Nice man, nice plants - thanks again for the alert.

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, man, I missed Cutting Edge! Now I am a victim of my own post.

"I will not buy another hosta. I will not buy another hosta. I will not buy another hosta. I will not buy...."

Lainey

• Janice
    15 years ago

Yeah--you will, Lainey! LOL

• buff24
    15 years ago

You guys are such terrible enablers!! I have absolutely NO room left for any more hostas right now, yet here I sit, at my computer, with a virtual shopping cart full of hostas at NHH. What to do?

Buff

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

buff24,

only one thing to do----check out. :0)

Carol

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

I must be crazy--but I'm just carrying on like everyone else right? I love the company!!!! I wasn't going to order until spring, but then I thot of the price as well as the fact I'll get a head start on growth by buying and planting now. So I ordered:Allegan Fog, Emerald Ruff Cut, Alligator Shoes, Cutting edge, and Blue Mouse Ears. Notice there are some smaller ones in the list!!! And no giants!!! Now what does that tell you???? LOL Mary

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It tells me we're all nuts over the giants! They are truly impressive, but it's hard not to go ga-ga over h. Blue Mouse Ears and h. Pandora's Box.

Looks like you got some good ones, Mary. Way to go!

Lainey

• buff24
    15 years ago

Here's what I have in my virtual shopping cart, still trying to talk myself into checking out and finishing the transaction!

Cutting Edge (Janice has one that's gorgeous)
    Dick Ward (Again, Janice has one that's awesome, I had one that died.)
    GE (Have never tried one, wanted to see if they're really "difficult?")
    H. Venusta (Looks like a very cute mini, always room to squeeze in a mini, right?)
    Key Lime Pie (Everyone else is ordering it, I can't be left out!)
    Manhattan (LOOOOOVE the ripples)
    Spellbound (Anyone growing this one? The description sounds cool...)

Buff

• andi_mn
    15 years ago

you would think i was old enough Not to give in to peer pressure but you just MADE me do it...Abiqua drinking gourd,Blue Haired Lady, Dick Ward, and Paradise Glory.
    and, yes, i Do still have some in pots yet to be planted.
    these are the very last.
    these are the very last.
    these are the very last....andi

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!

Lainey

• buff24
    15 years ago

OY! So I did it... I placed my order. I got Cutting Edge, Dick Ward, GE, Venusta, Key Lime Pie, Manhattan, and Spellbound, for the bargain basement price of $64.64 (including shipping.) How could I possibly pass up that 40% off sale?? Now where the heck am I going to put all these? I have no idea. But I just couldn't help myself.

Buff

• Janice
    15 years ago

Buff--I wish I could be a better 'influence'!;o)

• buff24
    15 years ago

Anyone receive their order yet? If so, how is it? Pics of your new babies would be most excellent. Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Thursday) via Fedex.

Buff

• dak11801
    15 years ago

Well...yes I did receive my hostas. The were packed very well and were all a nice size, especially for the price. The only problem is, I was sent someone else's order.

I did call them and they said they would send out the correct plants to me and I could keep the ones I was sent in error.

Susan

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got mine in today. They were impeccably packed so there is no damage, they were potted, so no dry roots. Silver Threads and Gold Needles is small but there are several divisions in the pot. Lakeside Coal Miner looks like 2 mature divisions, with beautiful glossy foliage, and Key Lime Pie is a single division, but mature and very pretty. I haven't taken photos, but I may if I get time to get batteries for the camera. I'm very happy with my purchase and wish I'd bought more.

Lainey

• User
    15 years ago

Lainey, there's still time to place another order...

This place is right around the corner from my home...sooo, after reading this thread, I headed over last Saturday. I am now the proud owner of:

Manhattan
    Paradise Power
    Peppermint Ice
    Royal Tiara
    Summer Music

If the sale is still on, I may have to visit again on Saturday...

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

I caved and bought a few today too
    Americana
    Last Dance
    Sleeping Beauty
    Blue Boy
    Glen Tiara
    Samuel Blue
    sieboldii 'Subcrocea'

• Janice
    15 years ago

Lainey, I placed my order last Thursday--how long did it take for yours to come? I'm hoping my order will be here
    tomorrow!!! Most places try not to ship until a Monday or Tuesday to avoid having them sitting in a truck or terminal over
    the weekend!!

• buff24
    15 years ago

Janice, what hostas did you order?? I just ordered on Monday, and according to the Fedex tracking, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Thursday). Did you get a shipping confirmation email with a tracking number?

Buff

• hostajenny
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info about the sale. After playing around with my shopping cart for about a week I finally ordered:

Cherish
    Cameo
    Cracker Crumbs
    Emerald Ruff Cuff
    Hanky Panky
    Jewel of the Nile
    June
    Lakeside Elfin Fire
    Maui Buttercups
    Revolution (I really needed a white centered)
    Silver Threads & Golden Needles
    Spilt Milk
    Striptease
    Sum & Substance

How did I do for a newbie? I bought a lot but I don't have as many as most of you guys. This probably brings me up to 65-70 now and I'm done buying this year (hopefully there won't be any local sales to tempt me). I know where S&S is going but I'm not sure about the others but most are little. My husband might find there's not as much grass to mow next week. :) My mother will be happy about that too since she steadily keeps trying to move half of her daylily collection in between my hostas.

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Janice,

I ordered mine on Thursday, just as you did. You should be able to track yours. Sometimes the post office or UPS gets all screwy. Once I ordered a part for my stove from Indianapolis which is just 90 miles north of me. It was taking forever to arrive so I checked the tracking.

First it went to Detroit, then it went to Camden, NJ, then it went to Buffalo, NY, then I called and complained, then it went to Cleveland and Cincinnati before finally arriving at my house. It took almost a month. The company had no explanation. So tracking and complaining to UPS or whoever the carrier is, usually gets results.

I hope yours arrive soon, but even if they don't, they are in pots, very moist, with wet newspaper on top of the moist soil, and the whole pot from the crown down, wrapped in cellophane. NO chance of drying out.

Let us know,

Lainey

• Hosta_Haven
    15 years ago

I got...
    Faithful Heart
    First Mate
    Lakeside Hoola Hoop
    Lemon Frost
    Sleeping Beauty (for my 7 yr old granddaughter)

Mine won't be coming for a few weeks cuz I'll be gone so I requested later delivery.

Char

• Janice
    15 years ago

Hey Lainey--I just received my order--Fed Ex!! All plants are small but muliti-eyed!!!
    I am very pleased and would not hesitate to order from them again, based on the
    appearance of what I've just received!

Now--WHERE will they be planted?? Maybe, I'll up-pot them and keep'em till Fall of
    next year to find a spot--the wisest thing, I know, but---------I bet I'll find
    a spot sooner and feel secure enough to plant them!!!

But, then--on the other hand, the Southern Blight thing I'm dealing with, may cause me
    to cool my jets, till I can be sure there isn't any coming in through the soils!
    I got it SOMEHOW and with well established plants, but one of the ones I've ordered
    from someone else had a tad of it! I'm wondering, how long that stuff lays dormant in some cases!!!
    I mean--it showed up on a hosta I had planted for 3 summers with no occasion of it (that I was aware of)
    before this summer!!!

And, one of the hosta I absolutely abused to be rid of it, came back with it RAMPANT in the pot
    I had placed it in, with all new soil, etc. so the plant must be able to host it,
    and even may not APPEAR to have it, and yet can have it--obviously!!

All this rambling to encourage myself that sometimes a hosta can host things
    not apparent to anyone, including the distributors so 'caution' may be warranted
    in quickly placing them into an established bed with other healthy hosta!!!

• buff24
    15 years ago

I just got home and found my order waiting for me... this is almost like Christmas! Anyway, most look like single divisions, but appear to be mature and are good-sized... I'm very pleased with my order! I will try to get a picture of my new babies and post it later.

Buff

• hostanana
    15 years ago

Mine arrived too- 8 hostas- 1-4 eyes, well packed, and all fat and happy. The plants are husky enough that I would have paid FULL price for them. Such a deal! Thanks again to botanybabe for starting this thread.

• Joan Habel
    15 years ago

Look...aren't they beautiful!

I ordered them on Sunday, and they came on Thursday.

All of them have 2-4 eyes and are thick and lush.

Although, the one thing that I like about ordering by mail is that they usually throw in a surpise freebie.
    There was no surprise with this order; but getting all 7 for $50.84 including shipping...It is better than free.

I purchased (from back to front):

Independence
    Grand Tiara
    Amber Tiara
    Diamond Tiara
    Puck
    Olive Branch
    Emerald Ruff Cut

I definately will buy from them again.

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Very nice. They are a good size for sale plants.
    Pam

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

How cute!

Now excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

• nchostaqueen
    15 years ago

I got mine yesterday and love them all!

I'll too will order from them again for sure.

Deb

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

According to the tracking # I got last night, mine should be here tomorrow.

• talynnp
    15 years ago

Oh, all right all ready......I just couldn't take it another minute. Soooooooo, here's what I ordered today from NH Hostas:

Bob Deane
    Cheatin' Heart
    Fair Maiden (thanks to ken, this is my second one)
    Fragrant Dream
    Fortunei Hyancinthina
    June (second one)
    Potomac Pride
    Samual Blue
    Tok Aureonebulosa
    Ultramarine
    Zippity Do Dah

All for a mere $80 and some change. Great prices and I expect great plants if they ship according to what I have seen on this thread. Thank you to all you ENABLERS!!!!!!! (he he)

Tanya

• Janice
    15 years ago

Tanya--we're just doing our job, ma'am---and, SOMEBODY'S gotta do it--AND, it might as well
    be we--who have had it done to us, very well, as well!!!! ;o)

• talynnp
    15 years ago

Birds of a feather..........and we make a great flock!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

gawd you people are enablers..

rotflmbo ...

ken

• Janice
    15 years ago

Yeah ken, like you're NOT one of 'US' ("you people") with all your gorgeous photos of what you have!!!
    There can't be much you don't have to wave under our noses and drooling mouths to entice us with !
    You are probably one of the BIGGEST enablers we have in this 'family'--dysfunctional as we sometimes are,
    as well! ROFLMHO

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha! I had to back for a second batch because I wanted Potomac Pride so badly, of course then I had to pick up 3 more to go with it, just to make the cost of the shipping worthwhile! We are hopeless! Well, at least I am.

Lainey

• Lee
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info about the sale LOL!!! I have no idea where I'm going to put all of these LOL!!!! I ordered..
    Christmas Pageant
    Dance With Me
    Eternal Flame
    Great Expectations
    Hanky Panky
    Heavenly Tiara
    My Child Insook

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Last Dance, Samuel Blue, Americana, Blue Boy, Sleeping Beauty - top row
    Glen Tiara and sieboldii 'Subcrocea' are the two smaller ones. Almost all are multi-crowned

close-up of Americana leaf

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

that Americana is one of my favs too- such good leaf thickness just begging to touch...
    if I did not plan to go to Sunrise greenhouses corn fest/ they usually have pretty sweet deals/ I would have placed second round of hosta order to NH.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

ohhhhhhhhhh.I need one of those~~~~~~~~~~

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

lol - well, sure you do! Just look at your name, just1morehosta - lol