Where can I find a Wild Sensitive Plant in Connecticut (hiking)?

jasonfest

Hi. My boyfriend has been telling me about this interesting plant that folds its leaves if touched. I did not immediately believe him.

I read that this species is native to Connecticut. I would love to see this remarkable plant. Does anyone know where it grows? I hike fairly often and would like to lightly brush a plant to see it in action.

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

The name sensitive plant is usually applied to members of the genus Mimosa, none of which are known to occur in CT. Did this source give a scientific name?

Save    
jasonfest

Chamaecrista nictitans

Save    
lycopus(z5 NY)

That helps. We don't get that species this far north, but it appears to be widely distributed in CT and parts of southern NY. It appears to favor thin, dry, acid soils, so places that are sandy or gravelly would be good places to look.

You might want to get involved with the Connecticut Botanical Society. No doubt some of their members know of locations to see it. They even do field trips throughout the year.

Mimosa pudica does the same thing and the seeds are pretty easy to find. They can sometimes be a little stubborn to germinate but once they do it's a pretty easy plant to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society

Save    
jasonfest

Thank you for the wealth of information.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Sensitive Fern Shows Its Strengths
Wondering what will thrive in your wet, shady garden? It’s Onoclea sensibilis to the rescue
Full Story
Tiny Houses Houzz Tour: A Custom-Made Tiny House for Skiing and Hiking
Ethan Waldman quit his job, left his large house and spent $42,000 to build a 200-square-foot home that costs him $100 a month to live in
Full Story
Gardening Guides How to Find the Right Native Plants for Your Yard
Find plant maps, sale sites and guides that make going native in the garden easier than ever
Full Story
The Mission of USA Cabinet Store and Design Center is to provide the best customer service, the highest quality... Read More
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More