SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cat2_gw

Connecticut 2009 Spring Swap

cat2
15 years ago

I know it's still a bit early, but I thought I'd get things going since I missed the fall swap completely. What weekends are good/not good for everybody, and is everyone good with the same location as last year?

For myself, I can't do the weekend of May 2 and the weekend before would be tough, too.

(If you couldn't tell, I can hardly wait.)

I tried starting celiosa seeds to bring some, but nothing has come up. I must be doing something wrong.

Comments (151)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

George, I haven't decided if I'm making the trek yet, but if I do, I'll definitely try to bring you white siberians and large nepeta. I bought the nepeta as Six Hill Giant, and the seedlings seem to be the same.

15 years ago

George, I haven't decided if I'm making the trek yet, but if I do, I'll definitely try to bring you white siberians and large nepeta. I bought the nepeta as Six Hill Giant, and the seedlings seem to be the same.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Raleigh Spring Swap 2009

Q

Comments (48)
    Sally, I would love to trade with you for Tricyrtis 'Autumn Glow'. Do you have either of the variegated Tricyrtis' 'Lightning Strike' and or 'Samurai'? Also, either or both Monardas? I can dig some M. 'Jacob Kline' for you if you are interested. I am interested in either Canna and your Tradescatia and Var. Hosta if I have something that you would like in return. I posted a partial list of things that I have available earlier in this discussion. Are you still interested in Mexican Petunias? I need to dig several clumps from the flowerbed in front of our house and can bring you several if you want them. Root Digger. I will bring two Pineapple Guava and give them to Tammy for you. Brenda, my Impatien zombensis still lives. I can take a cutting and either bring it tomorrow, or root it myself and give it to you later? I bought an Impatiens species from Tony in February. I can divide a piece of it for you also if you like.
    ...See More

WANTED: 2009 Spring Swap

Q

Comments (3)
    I have several confirmations from local gardening friends that they will attend, but none of them are Garden Web members. I guess they're shy. I expect we'll see assorted perennials like iris, daylilies, and hosta from them, as well as some surprises. For myself, I have some jack in the pulpit starts, a few perennial geraniums, and bell flowers in blue and white. I also have lunaria (that's money plant, and who can't use a little extra money?) There will probably be some young tomatoes and eggplant, too. I'm sure there will be other things on the list later as I work through the beds.
    ...See More

WANTED: food & stuff list for 2009 spring mag swap

Q

Comments (20)
    Lunch usually starts at 12pm.....plant swapping takes up alot of energy ! For planning purposes, here's our Foods Lists so far: FOOD: ~ APPETIZERS Babaganoush & pita bread (Busyasabee) spanikopita (AnneBert) ~ MAIN COURSES Pasta Salad (Busyasabee) Pasta Salad (Alfie) **Caesar Salad (Cecilia) -- tentative ** Chicken Salad Sandwiches (katiekaboom) Italian sausage and potato soup w/ cups&spoons (Seema) ~ BROWNIES Mississippi Mud (JanetMD) ~ OTHER DESSERTS Cheesecake (if Prof Dirt is coming) -- (Alfie) something sweet (katiekaboom) DirtCake -- Kay (Garden_Tenderfoot) Banana bread and some coconut macaroons (AntiqueOrchid) ~ CONDIMENTS Mustard (Diana Lynn) NON-Food Toilet paper -- (DianaLynn) We still need the following (just want to make sure we have these covered since last year we ran low on the utensils) beverages - water/sodas & ice plastic forks paper plates paper napkins paper towels paper cups
    ...See More

Information - CT Spring Swap & Meet, Greet, Eat

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi All, My name is Camille and I am part of a Green Space Group in New Haven who was referred to you to possibly donate any plants left over after the swap. This year we lost our funding due to budget cuts and are looking for donations for our community gardens and wine barrels (9) in the East Rock area in New Haven, CT. I was referred to you guys from a co-worker who said you guys may be a good resource. I can be reached at ansleyce@yahoo.com and can come down 5/17 if this is ok with your plant swap team. Sincerely, Camille Ansley
    ...See More
  • ego45
    15 years ago

Kay, looking forward to seeing you again :-))

• noticklish
    15 years ago

Wow- there are already so many nice plant offerings. I almost feel silly offering pachysandra, so maybe I'll go the food route.
    Marty- would love some of the pink obedient plant and the campanula cherry bells (or any hardy campanula)
    Hedy- If you are bringing an endless summer I would love one
    George- please keep me in mind for a hydrangea, and the mix of ligularia brit marie.
    Cat2- I would appreciate the dianthus if it is still available.
    Heather
    p.s. glad to hear my onions are still making the rounds.;)
    If anyone has some good plant ideas for a moist north facing slope in part sun, please email me. If I put a hedge of hydrangeas there will it hold the soil? (45 degree slope)I have some ditch lillies planted there at the moment.

15 years ago

Is anybody interested in Virginia bluebells? blue fescue? I'm also bringing some hardy geraniums for Dee.

It will be good to see people again. I can't believe it's already been a couple of years.

• ego45
    15 years ago

Virginia bluebells?
    Me, me, me :-))

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

I'd like some of the Virginia bluebells and hardy geraniums. Thanks, Richie

15 years ago

Sure.

OOOHHH! I get to get rid of plants! This is exciting! Then I'll have space for more.

• ego45
    15 years ago

I could thin out clump of Aconitum carmichaeli, if anyone is interested.
    Warning: HIGHLY poisonous, latest bloomer of all aconitums (for me late September in sun and October in part-sun), very tall (6-7') and need to be either staked or grown thru double-circled peony ring.

If anyone have a shorter and earlier blooming A. napellus or else, I'll take it with a gratitude.

• katie_gardener
    15 years ago

I, too, would like some Bluebells... would also like to try the blue fescue for the bed of grasses that I am planning...

Thanks ~
    Katie

• noticklish
    15 years ago

Is anyone interested in albomarginata hosta or pachysandra?
    The hosta is not slug proof.

• suebot
    15 years ago

katie gardener- I would love some Heirlooms - tomatoes, beans, sunflowers, hollyhocks, marigolds, cosmos, nasturtiums, and morning glory if any available.

Casey1-My Victory Garden could use my grandsons' favorite Sungold tomatoes!

mad gallica-Virginia Bluebells (my home state) and blue fescue (I don't think deer like fescue) would be heavenly.

This is like hitting the plant lottery. So exciting! I read the other day you need to spray to avert deer off their paths as soon as the first speck of ditch lily shows. If you wait until they have ravaged your yard a few times, it is a hopeless cause until early next spring when you need to be diligent w/Deer Off or something like that!

I can't wait to see everybody and this time I plan to bring my camera!

Thanks,
    suebot in CT

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    15 years ago

Well Bev and I are going to go to this years swap!! Yeah It has been a Desire for quite a few years!
    SO I will post my desires :
    Pyrocatha seeds if any still availble? Princess hollies,
    Rich Would love some maiden grass and other variety if available? Ego45 would love some hydrangeas. MArty any purple monarda left?? And other desires Lavander,basil and tyme Abi any poppies left?
    I will list some plants/trees I could bring:
    Any body have a pond?
    I have never tried it with a lilly pad But if they sprout upin time?? I could try tranplanting a PINK(and maybe yellow a little tuffer to get) lilly pads all depends whether they sprout in time?
    What I also have are Pink Mimosa trees but that too is hit or miss in success? I have had mixed results in the past with them. And perhaps some of the hearty Japanese red maples (NOT the fine leaf variety).
    I will list a few more boring Items a bit later!
    OH YES I Will bring a nice Venison Roast and We can all enjoy feasting on the Bambi's that enjoy Feasting so much on our plants!
    See you all there !!!! Yippppeeee!

• JaneGael
    15 years ago

Hello, I was referred here from the Country Garden forum. I live in New Haven. I planted a bunch of Silver Princess shasta daisies in the little peat circles and they all sprouted. They are doing well and I could bring some of those for sure and some cookies.

:) Jane

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

Greetings at long last !

A virus devoured my computer nearly three weeks ago and I've been in limbo ever since, a very scarey place indeed. . .as
    soon as I get my new MAC-mini set-up, I'll be posting a list
    of available plants. . .meanwhile, George, I'd love a hunk of
    the aconitum carmichaeli, please!

Gotta go before the battery on my friend's laptop dies. . .

Carl

• JaneGael
    15 years ago

I know people are saying Virginia creeper is invasive but I need invasive, so if anyone is ripping some out I'd love to have it.

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Janegael -- Virginia Creeper is at least a native, and although invasive, is considered a suitable substitute for the NON-native invasives (Oriental bittersweet, etc.). And it has gorgeous fall color -- Good luck!

Bertman ... I have enough purple monarda for an army. Will add your name to the list.

Notticklish... I'd love some of the albomarginata hosta (and any other variegated or big leafed blue hostas anyone might have). Are those your Egyptian walking onions?? (Did I get them from you at a swap a few years back...?) They are wonders! Plenty more of them if anyone wants some. They are indestructible as far as I can tell :)

• katie_gardener
    15 years ago

suebot ~

I will have several wonderful heirloom tomato seedlings to bring to the swap -- all of which I can comment on and vouch for, as I have grown before. I should also have some beans, marigolds, a couple cardoons (perennial, both beautiful and culinarily gems)... maybe others... keeping an eye on all seedlings...trying to grow alpine strawberry seedlings, but no luck yet... I am patient...hopeful.

cannot wait to see ya'lll... will bring something yummy to the swap, but also waiting to see what is needed/wanted when people sign up for food stuff. I feel like I have an idea of what people what might to munch on just based on everyone's plants (or plant desires).

See you soonly ~
    Katie

• cloud_9
    15 years ago

Katie - I would love a cardoon.
    Deb

• casey1gw
    15 years ago

Katie- If you have an extra cardoon, I'd love one too.

Hedy

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

HI bertman,
    I have a maiden grass for you and plenty of pyracantha seeds!

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

HI katie ,
    I'll take some heirloom tomato seedlings if you have any left. Thanks, Richie

• noticklish
    14 years ago

ctlady- I will bring several hosta divisions -probably 3 or 4 eyes each. It was several years ago that I brought the onions to Young's. Hopefully I can find this new place.
    I'm looking for lobelia cardinalis (or any other perennial lobelia) for the hummingbirds ; pink,purple or red astilbes--anyone bringing some ?

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Noticklish - I bought lobelia cardinalis last year from the Conservation District and will try to divide it when it comes up a bit more. It was gorgeous last year ... but to be honest, my hummingbirds preferred the black and blue salvia (annual) I had in pots on the patio, plus the hanging fuschia baskets (they LOVE those!) I saw them on the cardinal flower a couple of times, but that was it. But I'll bring you some if I can (not sure it will be established enough to divide since it's just a year old).

Here are a few more things I've "unearthed":

Geranium Rozanne (2 small divisions)
    Sedum Autumn Joy
    Spiraea x billiardii "Triumphans" (several SMALL rooted cuttings from last fall)
    Anise hyssop
    Chives
    Tovara (Painter's Palette -- got from this swap, LOVE this stuff!)
    Stella D'Oro lilies
    Ribbon grass
    Bleeding heart (Dicentra Spectabilis)
    Sunflower seedlings

And as noted in earlier posts, still plenty of:

Campanula "Cherry Bells"
    Purple monarda (bee balm)

/ Marty

• silvergirl426_gw
    14 years ago

Marty,
    I would love some geranium rozanne and dicentra -- I'll take some campanula too.
    lucia

• kendra5
    14 years ago

bertman....have successfully growm a mimosa in past and would love to try another if you have one to spare;red maples are my thing too.
    ctladyz5....adding purple monarda to my purple garden would be delightful...will try for some blue hosta for you....would krossa regal do?.....kendra

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Lucia -- will put you down for the Rozanne and hope they make it (just divided them yesterday and they are looking seriously limp today in this heat, despite lots of water ... expect they'll be fine, though). Will put you down for the bleeding heart and campanula... and I haven't forgotten about the pink daylily, either. I didn't list it because it is coming in very slowly this spring and isn't very large compared to the other daylilies, but I'll try to bring you a piece.

Kendra -- will add you to the monarda requests. I have plenty for everyone (just beware -- it will fill a bed in one season!) And krossa regal hosta would be terrific, thanks! Do you want some anise hyssop for your purple garden?

Things I am looking for:

triliums (any color)
    Iris chrysographes (I would LOVE to find some of these!)
    Tithonia
    Thalictrum 'Splendide'
    Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea) -- Carl, you must have some of that, yes? ;)
    Any good bird/butterfly garden plants and/or woodland border plants ...

/ Marty

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

HI Marty,
    I'll take one of your Geranium Rozanne and I think earlier in here somewhere I asked for some purple monarda also. Thanks, Richie

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Yep, Richie -- I've got you down for monarda and will put your name on the other Rozanne.

Other monarda requests (hope I've kept the list straight): Suebot, Greenbug, Abi, Bertman, Kendra. I will bring plenty of extra.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

I have one sedum autumn joy also if anyone is interested.

• katie_gardener
    14 years ago

Marty -- would love some Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and 'Stella' day lilies... thank you!

javaandjazz -- I have your name on tomato seedlings

Deb -- a cardoon for you

Hedy -- a cardoon for you too

I am preparing beds for all of the new plants we're expecting! Can't wait!

~ Katie

• ego45
    14 years ago

Marty, Iris chrysographes is available thru some internet vendors (Wayside in particular), but let me tell you that if you may think I. ensata could be somewhat agressive, it's a VERY well behaved baby in comparison to I. chrysographes. I guess it's on par with I. pseudacorus's agressiveness.
    Took me two years to eradicate.

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

George -- curious, thanks for the warning (though I have some spots I might LOVE to have them invade!) I saw them in the White Flower Farm catalog and really loved the deep, dark color (which I assume isn't REALLY black but is certainly stunning!) I had assumed they were a kind of Siberian iris (and my other Siberians are lovely -- quite well behaved). What kind of setting were yours (wet soil?) Certainly sounds as if you (a) don't have any left! and (b) don't recommend I acquire any!! ;)

• ego45
    14 years ago

Marty, real color is deep-deep navy blue. If lighted from behind they look almost black, on overcast day they look completely black. Unless you have something contrasing (canary yellow?) blooming nearby at the same time, they look very depressing.
    Culture and requirements are the same as for I. ensata or I. pseudacorus: constantly wet soil + sun i.e. swamp or edge of the water.
    Yes, you are correct on your both, a) and b) assumptions :-))) If you could provide wet+sun combo condition, I.ensata would be much better choice, IMO.

• bebebzzz
    14 years ago

This past fall, I made the mistake of bringing a friend to the swap - she only wanted to pick up plants and leave(thought it was a good idea at the time). Arrghhhh! - I wanted to stay! She's not coming this time, so I get to stay and chat - hopefully this time I can get to know all of you great folks! :)

Since I am a new gardener, I have little to share this time around (except for food - I am an excellent cook/baker and promise to bring something y'all will swoon over). I also promise that once my plants are big enough, I will share. :)

Katie Gardener: I would love some of your heirloom tomatoes, sunflowers, marigolds, cosmos, nasturtiums AND CARDOONS - I've heard about them and I am intrigued! And aloe too!

Marty: If you have any Dicentra left, I would love some!

Cat 2: Any lemon balm left? Sign me up!

Hedy: You have 3 plants I'd like: agastache (Blue Fortune), Sungold tomatoes, and Nepeta Subsesillis, if still available.

Anna: Raspberry seedlings - yes please!

Diane: Black raspberry seedlings - double yes please!

Abi: More ajuga sounds good to me, if you've still got some.

Kendra5: Variegated hosta and the gallium are right up my alley - I'd love some. I have some yarrow (Summer Pastels) that I can share, although it volunteers like crazy, so be careful of where you put it.

Looking forward to seeing you all!
    Bebe

• kendra5
    14 years ago

bebe....will bring sweet woodruff sprigs and try for hosta......just discovered horrible vole problem....researched and found ONLY real prevention is aluminum flashing....here i come home depot!!! natch they got my un-named favorite!!

• noticklish
    14 years ago

What road do you drive down to get to the picnic area for the swap?

Marty- Please put me down for the tovara painter's pallet.

I have no manner of luck at all with coralbells ,so I am hoping to find some pink tiarella. Anyone bringing some?
    If I understand correctly, some varieties spread by runners and others don't.....

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

I posted my usual thread with the directions for the swap.

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Deb -- thanks for the directions. Hopefully no one will post to that, so it stays (more or less) at the top.

Plants FOR:

Lucia (silvergirl): Rozanne, dicentra spectabilis, campanula, pink lily (if possible)
    Richie: purple monarda, Rozanne
    Kendra: purple monarda
    Suebot: purple monarda, rudbeckia, walking onions, obedient plant
    Katie-gardener: campanula, sedum Autumn Joy, Stella dâOros
    Anna (Greenbug): purple monarda, rudbeckia, lambsâ ear
    Abi: purple monarda, rudbeckia, campanula
    Janice: campanula
    Noticklish: campanula, obedient plant, Tovara
    Bertman: purple monarda
    Bebe: dicentra spectabilis

THINGS I'M (HOPEFULLY) GETTING:

From Abi: poppy
    From George: liguralis
    From Noticklish: albomarginata hosta
    From Kendra: hosta Krossa Regal

Plants FROM:

Abi poppy
    George liguralis
    Kendra hosta Krossa Regal
    Noticklish albomarginata hosta

Let me know if I've missed anyone/anything ... not sure I got every request written down.

Still have TONS of obedient plant, campanula "Cherry Bells", purple monarda, Stella D'Oros, walking onions, baby sunflowers, possibly dill (think that's what's coming up everywhere in the herb garden -- dill or fennel), anise hyssop.

• laughter
    14 years ago

Marty, (ctlady) Id like some of the campanula "Cherry Bells" and Purple monarda (bee balm) If you have any left.

ego45, If the tree Styraxe isnt spoken for, Id love to give it a home!

And, kendra5 I would like some sprigs of sweet woodruff. My friend gave me some last year, and Id like to fill in that space a bit more.

Im new to gardening, but Ill have some variegated hosta, (it doesnt seem to do as well in my shady yard as the ordinary one.) tomato seedlings, and squash seedlings.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

HI Everyone,
    We are going to help out a friend of ours who has all overgrown old shrubs in her yard by ripping them out which will leave everything empty. I know she doesn't have a lot of money to do this project so we will give her some extra plants. We'll take any other plants that you are looking to share so we can help her out. Does anyone have any small japanese maple trees or small shrubs? Thanks, Richie

• aeiger
    14 years ago

Richie, I have 2 or 3 very small azaleas, pink and orange that I rooted a few years ago 12-15 inches tall. I also have some rugosas I could bring you and Lilac suckers I could dig out.

Bertman, I have barrels out with fish and lilies. So I wouldn't mind pond plants.

I am keeping the poppies alive but they are obviously annoyed at being thinned and moved. We will see. /Abi

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

Thanks Abi!

• lward824
    14 years ago

Marty: Could I please have some Cherry Bells? Would also like dill or fennel.

Things I have to trade this year:

evening primrose
    hardy mums, white and pink daisy-they spread ALOT, but are the only things that blume in October
    white rose campion
    some rugosa roses, white and pink
    purple monarda, tons of it
    hemlock trees, grow everywhere here
    Anise hyssop, good butterfly plants, spread everywhere by seed
    some purple hardy geranium
    a few blue perrennial batchelor buttons
    TONS of lemon balm
    Egyptian onions

Need herbs, any red flowering plant, vegetables, raspberries, dahlias.

Leah Ward, (the one that looked like a house in the purple sweater)

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Laughter and Leah -- PLENTY of cherry bells to go around (I sure hope that's what these really are, but the young leaves, the location, and the reputation (as an aggressive spreader) all seems to dictate that's what's coming up gangbusters in my butterfly garden! Will bring them for both of you, and monarda (also unlimited supply) for Laughter.

Leah -- I'm pretty sure it's dill coming up equally gangbusters, though it could be fennel (made the mistake of plunking them in next to each other last spring). I use them interchangeably in cooking ... will bring you some and you can see what you get. My dill fades in the heat of summer (but it DOES reseed like nuts) and I switch to cutting fennel for the kitchen since it seems to weather the heat much better.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

HI Leah,
    I would like one of your blue bachelor buttons. Thanks, Richie

• noticklish
    14 years ago

Leah- please put me down for a white rose campion and purple hardy geranium. Thanks.

• aeiger
    14 years ago

Hi Leah,
    I would like some white rugosa and white campion and mums. /Abi

• lward824
    14 years ago

Ctlady: Should be easy to tell the dill from the fennel if you just taste it! I'd be happy to have either though. Love, Leah

• casey1gw
    14 years ago

Leah, could you save a purple geranium for me?

I hope to be potting a lot of the plants this weekend and I'll post what I have to bring to the swap. Do we need more desserts or salads for the food?

Hedy