SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

distinguishing Price's groundnut from Apios americana

dirtgirl
16 years ago

A few years back I came across some mystery tubers that had washed up in a field we farm. I got curious, took them home and stuck them in a pot of dirt and discovered after a few months and a bit of reading up that my plant was a groundnut. Interesting, but not spectacular. Neat history though, Thoreau and all. I thought the blooms in the books and web pages looked pretty and looked forward to the first signs of blossoms, but the few that my young plants put out were rather disappointing and pale. Recently I came across an article on Price's groundnut and noticed the blooms were mostly pale green and white with only a bit of pink. I wish I could recall better what mine were like. I know better than to think that this might just be a Price's in my pot--the sole Union CO location has not been found again in recent years and it's assumed to be extinct there...but Union Co. is only about 40 miles or so linear from here.

Aside from the blossom color, what other distinguishing characteristics set the two species apart?

This is very likely just common groundnut, but it has me curious to at least know more...

Comments (2)

Sponsored